Size: 75DT, Trigger 36 sump, 85-90 gal total
Red Sea Test kit
Sal: 1.024
No3: 20ppm
P04: .2
KH: 11.2
Ca: 420
Mg:1480

At 1.5 months I had a dino outbreak. I had goose eggs for N03 and P04. Tried upping the feeding over 2 weeks with no improvement. I also tried dinox, waste away. The outbreak lasted about 1.5 months. I beat it by 5 days of not running my lights and doseing 25ml of MB7 daily and 40ml of live phyto every other day, and adding reef roids to up my nutrients. Now, after month of the dinos in remission, I have continued dosing MB7 @ 10ml after my 9g weekly water changes and 40ml phyto every 2 to 3 days. Returned my lights to normal schedule. All was well till about 4 days ago. Dinos have returned on the sand and rocks. The only thing I can think that caused this was I started to use AB+ and over dosed it. I dosed 25ml. This was the first time I used it and noticed the dinos less than 48hrs after. I do not have the capability to ID them. They appear identical to my eye as the previous outbreak. I am confused on how to adress them now. The last time I was able to beat them by raising the nutrients and letting algae and other bacteria out compete it. Not exactly how to adress this outbreak. Attached is a vid of the previous outbreak for reference.

OP
OP
P

Panicked Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you have for fish and cleanup crew?
Fish: 2 clowns, 4 cardinals, orchid dottyback, stary blenny, one spot foxface cleaner shrimp
CUC: Nassarius, astrea, 3 turbos, trouchus, Dwarf ceriths. 2 emerald crabs. Im not sure of the exact numbers of the snails. I have lost some these and all my larger ceriths and most of the trouchus.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish: 2 clowns, 4 cardinals, orchid dottyback, stary blenny, one spot foxface cleaner shrimp
CUC: Nassarius, astrea, 3 turbos, trouchus, Dwarf ceriths. 2 emerald crabs. Im not sure of the exact numbers of the snails. I have lost some these and all my larger ceriths and most of the trouchus.

Did you loose them due to the dinos? Never can be sure just by the appearance in the tank but if I had to guess it would be ostreopsis. If you could get a video under the microscope a positive ID would be fairly simple.

OP
OP
P

Panicked Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to say if the dinos was the cause for loss. Possibly the treatment methods? I honestly though I would have seen more loss in the sails and crabs. I lost a cleaner shrimp and 2 urchins during the black out and dinox attempt but I believe urchins were from the dino x and the shrimp possibly got too close to the power head. So I'm not 100% sure. Yeah, it's about impossible to tell with one's eye. I was originally told by several people at the start of the last battle I had it was diatoms. This made sense due to the age of the tank and that while it appears rust brown in the tank even with only white lights, when removed from the tank it is green in color. When it first sets on it will remain on the rocks but dissipate on the sand bed after lights out. As it gets longer it still diminishes when the lights are off but is definitely still there on the sand.

OP
OP
P

Panicked Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It came and went and then came agian. Looks like it's staying this time. Any suggestions on how to beat this? My nutrients are 10ppm n03 and .2 p04 do I need to go up from here?

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 33 52.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 35 55.6%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 13 20.6%
  • None.

Votes: 14 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 7.9%
Back