Dip spit and a reef tank...

Steven Garland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my 2yr old son,decided to pour a half a bottle of dip spit into my tank while I was emptying my dirty tank water bucket.. Thankfully I caught him right after he had done it,and it was still all in one spot clumped together.

I immediately grabbed ½" tubing instead of my airline tubing and siphoned the plume of dip spit as fast as I could,resulting in about almost a gallon of water(out of about 2.5-3g water volume),pulled my media rack,put fresh carbon in it,swapped out my filter pad and filled the tank back up.

All my corals are zoa's,1 mushroom and a few acan's.

What do you guys think ? Maybe replace the carbon again tomorrow,maybe another small water change ?

OP
OP
Steven Garland

Steven Garland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes to both
D

I plenty much figured that would be the answer. I normally run maybe like a gram or 2 of carbon and thats it but I put about ⅜-½ of carbon in the media bag.

I'm going to run out tomorrow and get some more water.

At the moment 80% of everything is open. My disco is PISSSSSSED lol Which I am eh about anyways lol but its actually been happy for once.

OP
OP
Steven Garland

Steven Garland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a bummer, sorry to hear that. :(
What can you do besides hope everything is okay lol at this point all I can do is laugh because this is my life.

Not to mention the little terrorist ruined a $100 baby monitor last week and while my wife was sleeping he came into the room and turned out trash can upside down dropped it in my tank.. I swear lol.

Then earlier today while I was changing our 1yr old after his nap with a poopy diaper,my 2yr old took his pants off said "dada pee pee" I turned around and ticked all over my brand new couch.. my life is in shambles at the moment lol all I can do is laugh,right ?

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What can you do besides hope everything is okay lol at this point all I can do is laugh because this is my life.

Not to mention the little terrorist ruined a $100 baby monitor last week and while my wife was sleeping he came into the room and turned out trash can upside down dropped it in my tank.. I swear lol.

Then earlier today while I was changing our 1yr old after his nap with a poopy diaper,my 2yr old took his pants off said "dada pee pee" I turned around and ticked all over my brand new couch.. my life is in shambles at the moment lol all I can do is laugh,right ?
Maybe try to keep the baby out of the tank room? (if it’s on a room with a door that can close)

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kids do the craziest things, Feel your pain. My son when 3 yrs old, scratched the whole side of my new car with the metal end of the hose - ”because he was washing it.”

Last edited:
OP
OP
Steven Garland

Steven Garland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe try to keep the baby out of the tank room? (if it’s on a room with a door that can close)

Its in my bedroom,more so the problem is the stand its on. I need to build a stand taller,one so I don't break my back while working on the tank.

But unfortunately I cannot lock my bedroom door with kids in case something happens.

Also,my son is very tall for 2,everyone thinks he is 3 or 4,so door handles are very easy for him to get too lol.

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey man, hang in there. My daughter once used a sharpie to draw eyeballs (with lashes) on the headlights of my Honda CRV. I'd say it gets better but that would be pulling you into a false sense of security. Never let your guard down... Just when you think you know which one is the "good" kid... Bam! They grow horns and a tail.

OP
OP
Steven Garland

Steven Garland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey man, hang in there. My daughter once used a sharpie to draw eyeballs (with lashes) on the headlights of my Honda CRV. I'd say it gets better but that would be pulling you into a false sense of security. Never let your guard down... Just when you think you know which one is the "good" kid... Bam! They grow horns and a tail.
Dude.. I just spit my milkshake out lol. Thank you for making me laugh at my disasters lol.

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would die..just probably cry like I wanted to do when this happened.
One day you will look back at this and laugh! May take awhile but great stories to tell their friends when they are older.

OP
OP
Steven Garland

Steven Garland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One day you will look back at this and laugh! May take awhile but great stories to tell their friends when they are older.

I'm trying to laugh at it now lol I was ticked,but I have to remember he is only 2yrs old.

I constantly have to tell him not to touch the tank,smack the tank and not to put his sticky little fingers in the tank lol.

Muwahha

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My son after learning how to write his ABC’s, proceeded to write the first letter of his name EVERYWHERE with black sharpie. That was over 8 years ago and to this day we randomly move something or rearrange an area to find another B. Then it wasn’t so funny, now I laugh and reminisce.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Give up the dip habit and use the savings to purchase children sized handcuffs.

Bad thing is your coral will really want another dip tomorrow.

confused long hair GIF

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 38 32.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back