Dipping an anemone?

Max447

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember reading that the anemone could get damaged or killed as they absorb the solution. I'm not sure if that is true but I would be Careful and do a bit of research before hand.

OP
OP
Glissfish21

Glissfish21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do you think there is a pest in the anemone?
I'm getting it from another reefer whos shutting down their tank, so I just wanted to be cautious. But I guess I'll just inspect it carefully instead;)

GHsaltie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral dips are, as per their name, strictly for corals. They are toxic to fish and anemones. Typically you don't have to worry about pests with anemones like you do corals. They can house the free-swimming stage of ich/velvet being that the majority of their body is water. This is easily taken care of by housing the anemone in a bucket/QT with a bubbler/powerhead and heater for either 48 or 72hrs, I can't remember which so will go find that for you.

GHsaltie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^ This; although it would be prudent to pour some DT water over it (and into a bucket to be discarded.) Or isolate it to a fishless environment for 48 hrs to be really safe. Nems have no hard surfaces, and thus tomonts cannot encyst; however they absorb a lot of water so you want to be mindful of theronts (free swimmers) which die within 48 hrs if denied a fish host to feed upon. :)

Here you go, from another thread.

Ross Petersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Super old thread here... I've noticed the rock flower anemone's (RFA) I just got have lots of rocks on their underside. I started to remove them but it soon became apparent that this would damage the underside - and others were retracted within the coral itself.

It's possible, I would gather then, that RFAs could house eggs (e.g., ich, aiptasia, etc.) indirectly for a long time and therefore it might be prudent to QT for a month+...

Any insights on this? Pick them rocks all off to save time?!

@Humblefish

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back