Dipping Coral in Hydrogen peroxide?

GK3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have a few spots of algae in my tank that I just cannot get rid of. I've heard that using hydrogen peroxide can treat this but I don't want to dose my whole tank. My must bothersome spot is right by some coral and it's affecting them. The coral is on a frag plug, can I pull it a dip it into a hydrogen peroxide solution? If so, what ratio and for how long?

Those2clowns

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do this as a normal dipping precaution when getting any corals. I just do straight hydrogen peroxide with no water. Leave it in for about a minute and then put in tank water. Haven't lost any corals and it takes care of the algae.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure you are using hydrogen peroxide with 3% potency. This is the standard stuff you will normally find at drugstore, but there are others like industrial, food grade or for hair bleaching that are higher.

I use the 3% 50-50 with tank water and dip for a few minutes if it is something like zoas. After killing a couple chalices and ticking off some acans I do not use it at all for LPS anymore.

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do this as a normal dipping precaution when getting any corals. I just do straight hydrogen peroxide with no water. Leave it in for about a minute and then put in tank water. Haven't lost any corals and it takes care of the algae.
Need to specify as some do better then others in peroxide

PhilSD211

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have dosed as well as dipping. I had a 3gallon pico where i dosed. Think it went ok but tank crashed not sure if it was due to that or something else. I would not suggest dosing the tank. I hear the trend lately is to dose fluconazole... but the nescience algae still will grow back.

I've recently dipped zoas in 3% straight for up to 5 minutes to get rid of bryopsis but they grow back. Zoa not harmed.. I now just get a sharp forceps and manually pull out any of the strands I see and that works MUCH better.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 94 87.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back