Dipping in Peroxide?

chaostactics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a few frag plugs that are starting to get nuisance algae on them (ok has been there for weeks).

I try tooth brush with medium bristles to remove every once in a while and a light bristle bottle brush.

The polyps aren't melting but either 1. Slowly receding 2. Stable but not opening. 3. Or only opening very slightly.

Other frags seem to be doing find and nuisance algae is very minimal in a couple places in the tank. If get the water "cleaner" and I start to get a mini crash and the fuge dies off.

Anyway what's the thoughts of dipping in Peroxide or something else to clear/spot treat for algae.

If it's a go what concentration of peroxide do you use and what ratio of peroxide to tank water?

Thank you

Reefing_addiction

It’s my TANK and I want it NOW!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dip my frags in straight h2o2 for 2 mins rinse in tank water then stick back in tank. Kills all the algae on the frag sometimes zoas take a day or so to open back up but they do. I like this method for my unglued still in rack plugs.
I too have a algae problem
Just rip cleaned my tank and replace all my sand (had black sand and didn’t like it) I’m hoping this will also reduce my algae problem

OP
OP
C

chaostactics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@dyerrm
Love my black sand (well until I get it between my magnet scraper and glass)
Screenshot_20201017-102337.png
Screenshot_20201017-102349.png

Reefing_addiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@dyerrm
Love my black sand (well until I get it between my magnet scraper and glass)
Screenshot_20201017-102337.png
Screenshot_20201017-102349.png
Black sand may be nice but I was concerned due to it being magnetic that it may be causing some issues in my tank

danschoenherr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the algae is just on the plug, place the frag plug on a small stand/rack outside of tank, and using a small syringe or dropper, fill with hydrogen peroxide, and gently apply to the frag plug. I will let this sit for 2-3 minutes, then place in a container of tank water with a few drops of Lugols to rest 5 minutes or so.

OP
OP
C

chaostactics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the algae is just on the plug, place the frag plug on a small stand/rack outside of tank, and using a small syringe or dropper, fill with hydrogen peroxide, and gently apply to the frag plug. I will let this sit for 2-3 minutes, then place in a container of tank water with a few drops of Lugols to rest 5 minutes or so.

Why iodine after?

Reefing_addiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don’t have to do iodine, I don’t.
But
Found this on another thread
Make sure you rinse before placing back in tank.
Effectiveness: Iodine is an antiseptic, and is effective in treating both bacterial and fungal disease. It is also lethal to many invertebrates such as nudis and flatworms, and is an effective preventative measure after fragging.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine go in a Tupperware with tank water, then I slowly add peroxide until I see fizzing.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 64 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 34.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back