Dipping live rock

sevitz5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if this is the correct place, but I was curious if there was a way to dip live rock to get rid of pests without killing off the beneficial bacteria? I’m setting up a 180 gal and am going to be moving rock (40-50 lbs) and corals over from my current tank. I would like to dip the rock in Coral RX or something like that, just in case I have any pests, before moving over to the new tank. Does anyone know a way to do this and not harm my good bacteria?

AA2EFE46-0B23-4616-8BB9-F130314EBE9F.jpeg

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm...I don't think that would be a good idea to attempt. That rock you dip is going to absorb the Coral Rx into the pours and then slowly leach out that in your main tank. I don't think that would be good for your fish or future inverts in the tank. Without knowing what exactly would be seeping out slowly, you won't be able to test for its presence in the tank water.

smartwater101

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't think so, No. Considering how pourus the rock is, you'd just end up with CoralRX still leaching into the system once you put it back.

If you're worried about pest just buy some dry rock and call it a day. You'll still have more than enough beneficial bacteria in the system. And looking at your picture it seems that you already have started with dry rock, so I'm not sure why you'd even want to mess with it...

I wouldn't worry about it.

Last edited:

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NO, NO, NO!!!! Never dip live rock. If you wish to get rid of pests and keep the rock alive, do the Melev's cooking instructions.....don't actually cook the rock in your oven.

OP
OP
sevitz5

sevitz5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't think so, No. Considering how pourus the rock is, you'd just end up with CoralRX still leaching into the system once you put it back.

If you're worried about pest just buy some dry rock and call it a day. You'll still have more than enough beneficial bacteria in the system. And looking at your picture it seems that you already have started with dry rock, so I'm not sure why you'd even want to mess with it...

I wouldn't worry about it.
I have 90 lbs of new marco rock and wanted to move my live rock over to help seed it.

I was hoping someone had either used freshwater or possibly hyper salinity even to rid it of pests.

I don’t have any pests that I know of, just trying to be super proactive.

smartwater101

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 90 lbs of new marco rock and wanted to move my live rock over to help seed it.

I was hoping someone had either used freshwater or possibly hyper salinity even to rid it of pests.

I don’t have any pests that I know of, just trying to be super proactive.

When was that photo taken? Is this tank where the liverock is going? Or is this the rock you're taking out? I'm confused lol

Either way. Don't overthink it. If pest are really a concern, just don't move anything over. Stick with dryrock and let the cycle happen slowly. Seeding isn't necessary. Just let it happen naturally.

Dryrock is so much better anyway because it gives you time to properly build structures the way you want. I miss cool (beneficial) hitchhikers but I'll never do liverock again (unless its coming from one of my own tanks.) Live rock just isn't worth the hassle.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can sump the live rock and it’ll help to seed the dry rock in the display.

OP
OP
sevitz5

sevitz5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When was that photo taken? Is this tank where the liverock is going? Or is this the rock you're taking out? I'm confused lol

Either way. Don't overthink it. If pest are really a concern, just don't move anything over. Stick with dryrock and let the cycle happen slowly. Seeding isn't necessary. Just let it happen naturally.

Dryrock is so much better anyway because it gives you time to properly build structures the way you want. I miss cool (beneficial) hitchhikers but I'll never do liverock again (unless its coming from one of my own tanks.) Live rock just isn't worth the hassle.
The previous pictures are of the new tank, here is a picture of my current tank. I guess I’m just overthinking it, I just want to keep the new tank as clean as possible. I don’t have any bad pests, that I know of.

4B86BF0E-539D-4A00-9FFD-9C538C22BDEC.jpeg

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
another nice feature regarding the bacteria is they'll tolerate anything you do to them shy of calculated and sustained/dosed antibiotic meds. a dip for pests is in no way antibacterial unless its specifically made to work against a certain strain...you can count bacteria as staying active no matter what you do unless you medicate specifically, freeze dry or boil.

Back