dipping my toe back in the (clam) pool

Phycodurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
okay, i finally did it ... after sitting on the fence for months and months and months, i bought some clams online. my hangup was just not wanting to lose another clam again.

web site pics are below ... not sure if it’s proper web etiquette to name the vendors, but one is currently IMO the highest recommended go-to source here on R2R. (pay no attention to the watermark). ;)

i’m apprehensive about posting because i don’t want to jinx the buys lol, only to lose the clams a couple weeks into the acquisition to PMD or wake up one morning to see they’ve *poof* gone up in smoke. (smh, it shouldn’t be so hard).

stephen king should write a novel about perkinsus protozoa. ;Bookworm;Nailbiting

(1) Ultra Cultured Crocea @ ~1.50”
upload_2019-6-29_16-39-18.jpeg

(2) Ultra Cultured Maxima @ 2.75”
upload_2019-6-29_16-39-45.png

(3) “Maxima Noae @ 3”-4”
upload_2019-6-29_16-40-56.png

cheers,
rick

OP
OP
Phycodurus

Phycodurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol, i spent most of the day re-reading about 25 pages of Clam forum threads just to soothe my apprehension (plus the valuable stickys). ;Shamefullyembarrased

some relevant articles, partially related articles & other interesting links:

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/ca/volume_6/volume_6_4/clams.html

https://worldwidescience.org/topicpages/p/parasite+perkinsus+olseni.html

https://complete.bioone.org/journalArticle/Download?fullDOI=10.2983/0730-8000(2008)27[789:IVAIVE]2.0.CO;2

quiz on friday, class! open book! :D

OP
OP
Phycodurus

Phycodurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes, i plan on giving them as much light as i can after a week or so of light acclimation. (a pair of LED reef-brite XHOs & 6 T5 set-up)

it’s my understanding that LEDs give off a lot more PAR than T5’s (and i acknowledge that the ideal set-up is MH but i couldn’t go with that arrangement logistically) :)

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice haul.

Lights sound good, par reading would be best way to be sure. But I think it’s fine. It does depend a bit on tank depth, clam placement, glass top or screen or none , and height fixture is above tank.

Sounds like you got the research in, now it just a matter of posting those guys happy in your tank.

Fiesty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lighting + or - a lil shouldn't kill them. At least not very fast I, like u, lost some a year n half ago. I'm sure to the same disease. Was terrible. Had clams for years on an old simple tank I had and never had problems. Got back into the hobby and and bought some wild caught clams just to have them all die plus all the ones at the local fish store. So know it wasnt me. I recently reluctantly purchased 6 for my new tank. From @PacificEastAquaculture and have had great luck with all but one that didnt make it after shipping. They were aquaculture and I would use them again
20190702_143602.jpg
20190702_143417.jpg

OP
OP
Phycodurus

Phycodurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for the replies. (^__^)v

i own a seneye so i will be taking measurements (again) to confirm the sweet spots in the tanks between best PAR and reasonable flow for the clams’ sake. it’s been a while since my last check.

tank is acrylic with acrylic lids ... i make it a point to wipe them down weekly for optimum light penetration. lights are about 4”-5” off the top (fixed into a rather low-profile laminate canopy).

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%

Back