Dipping my toes back in with an 8 gallon

Shaina Carey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After my 3.5 gallon failed, and my parents dying in 2021, I decided to dip my toes into saltwater again. This 8 gallon has been empty for 2 years, so I thought it would be perfect for a nano reef tank. Bought sand and an ammonia test kit today. Rest of the stuff is coming tomorrow and Thursday. Using an HOB I had for my 5.5 gallon betta tank.
1000002492.jpg

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. :) I am really excited about it
I could tell, and I thing it will be a fun tiny tank. Not to discourage you, but please don't put a school of fishes in that tiny tank. I just posted the same idea on another thread, so I am not picking on you. A coral or corals can be kept safely (they don't swim much) but most reef fishes really don't belong in a small tank, imo.

Especially not just one tiny tang, unless you are going to upgrade around July 2024. :cool:

OP
OP
Shaina Carey

Shaina Carey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could tell, and I thing it will be a fun tiny tank. Not to discourage you, but please don't put a school of fishes in that tiny tank. I just posted the same idea on another thread, so I am not picking on you. A coral or corals can be kept safely (they don't swim much) but most reef fishes really don't belong in a small tank, imo.

Especially not just one tiny tang, unless you are going to upgrade around July 2024. :cool:
Going to be a mainly coral tank with a CUC and maybe a goby.

Especially not just one tiny tang, unless you are going to upgrade around July 2024.
Thinking about a nice coral tank with a CUC and maybe a small goby. I am planning on cycling my 29 gallon and 10 gallon for freshwater tanks so I have fish to watch.

Devisissy

Kiss My Wrasse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a 3 gallon set up and it's a chore. I had a five gallon fluval years and years ago that was a bit easier. So my three gallon has mangroves an aquaclear 50 with the propeller switched out with the aquaclear 20 for filtration. I use bio balls, carbon, soft and course sponge and filter floss around the intake. The filter floss and gets changed daily. Lighting is a kessil. Every day I mist mangroves, pull floss and return with clean. I take a Dixie cup size full of water and replace with new salt water. Every day before I even have my coffee. Once a week I do a 50% water change and change all sponges. All that's in there currently is a few sand sitting snails, a yellow montipora, and a dying hammer that I am trying to save and some dying acros I am trying to save. My big tank crashed and these corals I've been really working on. Normally it's just some Marco algae and a few hermits. But I moved all my macro while I try my best to save these dying coral. I use bright wells restore and trace every two days and brightwells iodine ONE DROP every other day. When it was just macro I dosed 2hr aquarist fertilizer twice a week. A heater controller is a must. Everything happens fast with these things. So if you like fiddling with crap then an 8 gallon is right up your alley.

OP
OP
Shaina Carey

Shaina Carey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a 3 gallon set up and it's a chore. I had a five gallon fluval years and years ago that was a bit easier. So my three gallon has mangroves an aquaclear 50 with the propeller switched out with the aquaclear 20 for filtration. I use bio balls, carbon, soft and course sponge and filter floss around the intake. The filter floss and gets changed daily. Lighting is a kessil. Every day I mist mangroves, pull floss and return with clean. I take a Dixie cup size full of water and replace with new salt water. Every day before I even have my coffee. Once a week I do a 50% water change and change all sponges. All that's in there currently is a few sand sitting snails, a yellow montipora, and a dying hammer that I am trying to save and some dying acros I am trying to save. My big tank crashed and these corals I've been really working on. Normally it's just some Marco algae and a few hermits. But I moved all my macro while I try my best to save these dying coral. I use bright wells restore and trace every two days and brightwells iodine ONE DROP every other day. When it was just macro I dosed 2hr aquarist fertilizer twice a week. A heater controller is a must. Everything happens fast with these things. So if you like fiddling with crap then an 8 gallon is right up your alley.
Lol. I'm up for the challenge

OP
OP
Shaina Carey

Shaina Carey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All done for tonight. Was able to find my refractometer and the salinity is I think the reading is 1.024 which I am happy about.

Attachments

• PXL_20240204_014339317.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240204_014339317.MP.jpg
    192.9 KB · Views: 29
OP
OP
Shaina Carey

Shaina Carey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know the hard scape is not pretty. The LFS didn't have a lot of choices when it came to the variety they were carrying.

OP
OP
Shaina Carey

Shaina Carey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a new light. It is a nicrew marine light. I am excited

Attachments

• PXL_20240205_002513045.jpg
    PXL_20240205_002513045.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 37
OP
OP
Shaina Carey

Shaina Carey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just checked the ammonia and Nitrite. I also checked my salinity with both a hydrometer and then my refractometer. I got 8 ppm for ammonia and 0.25 ppm Nitrite. :) Salinity is at 35 PPT with both. It is on its way

OP
OP
Shaina Carey

Shaina Carey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added more dried live rock. :)

Attachments

• PXL_20240207_223404289.jpg
    PXL_20240207_223404289.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 24
OP
OP
Shaina Carey

Shaina Carey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ugh, I hate waiting for tanks to cycle. At least I am getting readings in all three categories. I know, it still is going to be about a month.

OP
OP
Shaina Carey

Shaina Carey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yuck. It is in the ugly brown phase now.

OP
OP
Shaina Carey

Shaina Carey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The view from my bed.

Attachments

• PXL_20240211_225008605.jpg
    PXL_20240211_225008605.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 22

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back