Dipping my toes

saltylilthang

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone!

I am hoping to start my saltwater journey this year. I consider myself a beginner to all things aquariums, even if I have owned multiple fish over the years. I kept 2 goldfish alive for 15 years and I consider that a right of passage.
I currently have 2 freshwater fully planted scapes. 5 Gallon for a female betta named Molly, and a 32.5 Gallon that houses ottocinclus, kuhli loaches, bladder and assassin snails, and a male betta named Steve. I love my tanks and learned a lot and decided after rehoming my third tank to a friend , it's time to set up a new tank but let it be saltwater.

My plan is to get a 20 Gallon AIO Waterbox with stand (if I can find it secondhand I may just cry) and fill with 2 clowns, a few coral, and some invertabretes (rref grazing hermits, nusarias snails, and peppermint shrimp). Nothing too crazy, nothing too fancy.

That being said, I need a little guidance in my intro! Do I truly need a wavemaker or will the outtake flow be enough, even with the standard pump? Do I truly need a top off system or can I hand top off the tank? And how long does the ugly stage last! Thank you everyone!

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
welcome aboard the r2r board. hello from PA!

if your return flow is enough to move water, i would say you can forgo the wavemaker pump; its all personal preference. what's important is surface agitation/flow for the gas exchange. the pump that comes with the AIO can be upgraded but you must ensure the dimensions fit the chamber.

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
gif_1690809774163_Original.gif

Evil1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone!

I am hoping to start my saltwater journey this year. I consider myself a beginner to all things aquariums, even if I have owned multiple fish over the years. I kept 2 goldfish alive for 15 years and I consider that a right of passage.
I currently have 2 freshwater fully planted scapes. 5 Gallon for a female betta named Molly, and a 32.5 Gallon that houses ottocinclus, kuhli loaches, bladder and assassin snails, and a male betta named Steve. I love my tanks and learned a lot and decided after rehoming my third tank to a friend , it's time to set up a new tank but let it be saltwater.

My plan is to get a 20 Gallon AIO Waterbox with stand (if I can find it secondhand I may just cry) and fill with 2 clowns, a few coral, and some invertabretes (rref grazing hermits, nusarias snails, and peppermint shrimp). Nothing too crazy, nothing too fancy.

That being said, I need a little guidance in my intro! Do I truly need a wavemaker or will the outtake flow be enough, even with the standard pump? Do I truly need a top off system or can I hand top off the tank? And how long does the ugly stage last! Thank you everyone!
You do not need a ATO but make sure you use distilled water (I assume you don’t want to buy a RODI system) if you’re only putting softie corals in your tank your return should be ok but an additional circulation pump is suggested. There are many on Amazon sized for your tank that are fairly cheap. Ugly stage varies and in my opinion unavoidable. Just go with the flow (pun intended)

Attachments

• IMG_3732.jpeg
    IMG_3732.jpeg
    232.1 KB · Views: 9

Roatan Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone!

Welcome to R2R!!
mom toes in the sand GIF

OP
OP
saltylilthang

saltylilthang

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You do not need a ATO but make sure you use distilled water (I assume you don’t want to buy a RODI system) if you’re only putting softie corals in your tank your return should be ok but an additional circulation pump is suggested. There are many on Amazon sized for your tank that are fairly cheap. Ugly stage varies and in my opinion unavoidable. Just go with the flow (pun intended)
Yes! Don't want a RODI system just yet (maybe down the line it depends). I live near like 3 pet stores so I am willing to make a weekly drive to get water.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 78 55.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back