Dipping zoas for treating dinos

Goodair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a zoa and a paly frag in the qt for some weeks, seems like dinos are showing up in the qt. What can I do to treat it before moving it to my DP. I've rwad people suggest bleach/peroxide dips but the unsure if it actually works or if it is just some experiment.

bobby.w.hodges

Wet Thumb
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definately do NOT dip with bleach. one thing you might try is do a water change on main tank and QT at the same time, use the water from your main tank to add to the QT. The reason dinos occur is the lack of nutrients in the water column, adding water from your main display will add nutrients to the QT. You may also find a UV sterilizer to be useful, but it won't solve the problem without adding nutrients.

OP
OP
Goodair

Goodair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definately do NOT dip with bleach. one thing you might try is do a water change on main tank and QT at the same time, use the water from your main tank to add to the QT. The reason dinos occur is the lack of nutrients in the water column, adding water from your main display will add nutrients to the QT. You may also find a UV sterilizer to be useful, but it won't solve the problem without adding nutrients.
I'm already using dt water in the qt, I remove 80% of the qt water and refill with water from dt. With 2 small frags, not sure if lack of nutrients is the sole factor. I got high phosphates aswell due my fish stocking.

bobby.w.hodges

Wet Thumb
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A nutrient imbalance can also contribute, try to get the phosphate down in the main tank and keep using that water. Manual removal with a Turkey baster in the QT could help too. One other option would be to dose nitrate to the QT to get the nutrients In balance. What are your nitrates at now? Phosphate?

OP
OP
Goodair

Goodair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
API, I keep mostly soft corals
~5ppm nitrates
.25-.5 phosphates, silversides are high in phospahtes and this is unavoidable to keep down.
Corals are doing fine in the dt except for a monti that keeps getting irrated by the lion perching on it. I would prefer not to mess around with the nutrients since tank has been like this for months with no issues as of yet.

I can try change the water more often and try removal as you mentioned, but not sure if that would help rid of the dinos.
The frags have been in the qt for about a month and been through 2 water changes, 3rd is scheduled to be later this week.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 203 71.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 21 7.3%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 54 18.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 2.8%
Back