Dipping Zoas

Damion123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Everyone.
I ordered some corals at the last WWC live sale. They are arriving Wednesday. Any suggestions on what I should dip them in?? I got two kinds of Zoas, two Acans, Candy Cane a mystery 4 pack. I know hydrogen Peroxide will be helpful with the algae on the frag plugs. I have some Coral RX, medicoral, and Koral MD. Which dip should I use for the Zoas??

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I don’t dip anything unless I feel like I need to. I do a deep inspection of all the corals and if I spot a pest, then I dip. I feel like dips are just unnecessary stress if the coral is healthy and pest free. H2O2 is great for algae and iodine is kind of my last resort dip if the H2O2 fails

vanpire

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use melafix. A little goes a long way.

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience is almost impossible to OD with bayers complete insecticide. Stir and pour until cloudy. Let sit for 8-10 minutes. I’ve been using it on sps for years now and haven’t even lost color from it. Polyps are usually out by the end of the dip

times up, swish aggressively or turkey baste, dip in fresh tank water and swish around again. Then directly to tank. Only time I wouldn’t use it is if it came in on a large piece of porous rock.

I use mechanic disposable latex gloves and plastic disposable utensils to stir. Left overs are poured along the perimeter of my house.

vanpire

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience is almost impossible to OD with bayers complete insecticide. Stir and pour until cloudy. Let sit for 8-10 minutes. I’ve been using it on sps for years now and haven’t even lost color from it. Polyps are usually out by the end of the dip

times up, swish aggressively or turkey baste, dip in fresh tank water and swish around again. Then directly to tank. Only time I wouldn’t use it is if it came in on a large piece of porous rock.

I use mechanic disposable latex gloves and plastic disposable utensils to stir. Left overs are poured along the perimeter of my house.
I sometimes use BOTH bayers and Melafix. First Bayer and Melafix. Melafix is harsher and you have to be correct with the dosage and time.

I have also used H2O2 dip for algae.

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually do 100 percent hydrogen peroxide for 30 second works for me and never had anything dye.
Ive used 100% h202 on a q-tip to spot treat algae, but I feel like it’s a little harsh to do straight h202 on a coral. You’re right though, some people prefer this method and some people even prefer 1:2 H2O2 to tank water for like 5 minutes. To each their own :)

ReeferWarrant

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to mention like @footgal said, if the concern is algae on the frag plug use a q-tip to apply the H2O2 and avoid the tissue of the coral. I only dip H2O2 if it's covering the coral itself and I have only tried it with zoas, they typically come out upset and then shed their outer layer but afterwards are perfectly fine.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 71 53.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 50.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 30 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back