Direct into filter sock or spillover?

Jreefer85

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you prefer the return line to go directly into a filtersock or into a seperate compartment next to the socks that spills over into the filter socks? To me there is somthing satisfying about the return lines going directly into the sock. In my mind i feel like it traps more stuff even though having the water spill over into the socks is basically the same affect. I know the spillover makes the sump alot quieter. Im debating bewteen a trigger systems 36 crystal sump or trigger 34 sapphire sump

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following. I have the crystal 36 with the overflow directly into the socks. I'm leaning toward a sump with the "spillover" type sock configuration for my next build. It'd be nice to hear some pros and cons. I'm also going to need some sort of light blocking between the fuge and the overflow/return sections.

Gobi-Wan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when I built my recent upgrade I made a chamber for the returns to go into and spill over into the filter sock section. The only way for the water to continue is to go through the socks. That said I have 3 socks and one of them has the end cut out so it doesn’t trap every single copepod and some can continue back into the algae scrubber. (Without a partial sock there is too much splashing) the first chamber is a very low flow area and traps detritus which could be vacuumed out but currently has a large population of mysid shrimp and my tank runs ultra low nutrient so I’m leaving it alone. Love how quiet it is with her or overflow and the spill-over pipe under the surface of the water. Removing filter socks is much easier. Welcome to R2R!

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I have mine set so the siphon goes directly into the sock, I would think the spill over design, while may be more efficient, I would think there would be a lot of water crashing noise. Not sure how there cannot be?

Water dumps into first section(no noise as the siphon is underwater), then fills up that section to spill over into the sock section. Then water has to fall into the sock as your water level is obviously lower then the top of the sock, creating that splashing noise?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong here, but I purposely avoided that type of sump because of my concerns.

Redfoxtang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
While I have mine set so the siphon goes directly into the sock, I would think the spill over design, while may be more efficient, I would think there would be a lot of water crashing noise. Not sure how there cannot be?

Water dumps into first section(no noise as the siphon is underwater), then fills up that section to spill over into the sock section. Then water has to fall into the sock as your water level is obviously lower then the top of the sock, creating that splashing noise?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong here, but I purposely avoided that type of sump because of my concerns.
I have a spill over type of sump I built and I have no noise whatsoever. Even with out sock in the section there’s barely any noise. I honestly only built it like this because it’s a little easier pulling the socks out and putting them back in. The only thing with this design is that I seem to get a ton more salt creep than the returns going directly into the socks.

AdamD76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the spill over design. not much noise. If you want to test it out you can put a solo cup in the place of the sock that the drain line is going to and have is spill into the second sock.

OP
OP
J

Jreefer85

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a spill over type of sump I built and I have no noise whatsoever. Even with out sock in the section there’s barely any noise. I honestly only built it like this because it’s a little easier pulling the socks out and putting them back in. The only thing with this design is that I seem to get a ton more salt creep than the returns going directly into the socks.

Would a lid over the spillover sock section prevent most of the salt creep? The sump i may buy (trigger 34 sapphire) has a lid over the duel filter sock area

Redfoxtang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Would a lid over the spillover sock section prevent most of the salt creep? The sump i may buy (trigger 34 sapphire) has a lid over the duel filter sock area
So my build is similar to the trigger setup but made out of a 75g tank. So my drains are the main part of the salt creep and not the spill over section. I would have to take a picture for it to make sense I guess.

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This exactly, I also use Geo's silencers. Only noise I get now is the occasional air getting sucked in by a power head

OP
OP
J

Jreefer85

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my build is similar to the trigger setup but made out of a 75g tank. So my drains are the main part of the salt creep and not the spill over section. I would have to take a picture for it to make sense I guess.

The trigger sump has a lid on the 2 return lines and the sock area. Im sure this has to help alot with salt creep
Screenshot_20201105-133752_Chrome.jpg

Redfoxtang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The trigger sump has a lid on the 2 return lines and the sock area. Im sure this has to help alot with salt creep
Screenshot_20201105-133752_Chrome.jpg
Yes I will snap a photo of mine when I get home and will show you how I did mine. Hard to put a lid on what I’m talking about, but I wish I could.

Redfoxtang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Here is how I have mine setup!

55D32100-B90C-4B9E-AE5A-5AB2A66D3668.jpeg

mindme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you prefer the return line to go directly into a filtersock or into a seperate compartment next to the socks that spills over into the filter socks? To me there is somthing satisfying about the return lines going directly into the sock. In my mind i feel like it traps more stuff even though having the water spill over into the socks is basically the same affect. I know the spillover makes the sump alot quieter. Im debating bewteen a trigger systems 36 crystal sump or trigger 34 sapphire sump

Spillover is the only way I would want to do it.

It seems to me if you go directly into the sock you are going to push the majority of what you are wanting to catch out the other side. Like if you are cleaning it, what do you do - you stick something in there to hit it with high pressure.

The spillover water that flows through is low pressure. I don't see how going directly into the pipe will catch more stuff. Unless for some reason your sock section isn't getting all the water.

And you don't have a big pipe going into the sock which makes it hard to get out. Unless you cut it above the sock. But then there is the noise factor. Pipes going into a spillover don't make noise, unless you for some reason cut the pipes before the water line. But how far down are you going to be able to put the pipe into the sock, while still being able to take it out?

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my drain line go directly into a sock. I have an extension pvc piece that goes down under the water in the filter sock, so it's very quiet.

Thrashed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've ran both, if tuned right both can be very little noise or a ton of noise. I just recently swapped from spill over back to in sock. I found it a lot harder trying to clean out the small drain section. It's a lot easier to pull socks and wash them.

nightster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a trigger emerald 39 and have quite a bit of noise from the spill over. How are y'all making this quite? Seems like there is a lot of air being pulled down. I have the aqueon overflow kit. I've had to turn my return pump down pretty low bc if I turn it up the noise gets worse. thanks!

jordan9095

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a trigger emerald 39 and have quite a bit of noise from the spill over. How are y'all making this quite? Seems like there is a lot of air being pulled down. I have the aqueon overflow kit. I've had to turn my return pump down pretty low bc if I turn it up the noise gets worse. thanks!
you need a gate valve or other setup (try searching for durso or bean animal). once you get the air out of the drain line, it will be much more quiet. adjusting the return pump speed can help reduce the amount of water draining and make it a little more quiet but not best way to stop the noise

nightster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you need a gate valve or other setup (try searching for durso or bean animal). once you get the air out of the drain line, it will be much more quiet. adjusting the return pump speed can help reduce the amount of water draining and make it a little more quiet but not best way to stop the noise
The aqueon kit does have a durso stand pipe, I'll look into putting a gate valve on my drain plumbing.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 47 26.1%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 43 23.9%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 42 23.3%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 44 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back