Dirty saltwater disposal

  • Thread starter Thread starter logibear
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

logibear

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 2, 2024
Messages
643
Reaction score
1,368
Location
Denver
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might seem like a silly question but where does everyone dispose of their dirty saltwater? Kinda sick of walking my 5 gallon buckets to the property line
 
Might seem like a silly question but where does everyone dispose of their dirty saltwater? Kinda sick of walking my 5 gallon buckets to the property line
Down the drain.
Why the question? You you have septic tank???

I would consider shooting the offender on one or both legs for dumping something on my land that they would not dump on their land.
 
Down the drain.
Why the question? You you have septic tank???
I don’t have septic but didn’t want to find out it could ruin my pipes the hard way. This is honestly the answer I want haha
 
I'm am on septic amd I've been dumping it down the drain and into the sump crock for 9 years with no problems. Most drains are PVC which is what we use for plumbing our tanks so I wouldn't worry about damaging your plumbing.

EDIT: I just had my septic tank cleaned last year for the first time since we built in 1997 and everything was fine
 
I'm am on septic amd I've been dumping it down the drain and into the sump crock for 9 years with no problems. Most drains are PVC which is what we use for plumbing our tanks so I wouldn't worry about damaging your plumbing.

EDIT: I just had my septic tank cleaned last year for the first time since we built in 1997 and everything was fine

Same. Straight down the drain into the septic for 15+ years. No issues. I’m currently on city and go right down the drain. But will be back on septic in about 2-3 months and will be sending it down the drain.
 
Modern drain pipe is, dang I forget. AI says:
AI Overview
What Is ABS Pipe? (Am I Prohibited From Using It?) | 1-Tom ...

The black plastic pipe commonly used for drain, waste, and vent (DWV) systems, sometimes referred to as sewer pipe, is called ABS pipe (acrylonitrile butadiene styrene).

My tank is in the garage and hauling dripping buckets inside isn't as easy as dumping at the end of the driveway.

My gutter looks like a beach in Fiji.

When I used to do a lot of water changes I did use the toilet as the disposal point for old saltwater. I have had a drain pipe break but I suspect that was from a damage caused during a snaking operation that cracked the ABS.
 
Might seem like a silly question but where does everyone dispose of their dirty saltwater? Kinda sick of walking my 5 gallon buckets to the property line
Down the sewer drain
 
Depends on how your drains are set up. If in a city that separates sewage from storm runoff then down the toilet or sink that's connected to the sewer is best. Considering all the other chemicals that go down that drain a bit of salt water every now and then won't hurt anything. Storm runoff (roads & driveways, for example) will not be treated, this typically ends up in retention ponds or waterways, either one is a bad place for salt water (and hitchhikers!) to be.
 
On septic. Down the drain for many years. No problems. Plus if you see what else I dispose down the drain you will never worry about the saltwater again :smiling-face-with-halo:
 
Dump it on paths and areas where weeds and grass grow that we don't want weeds and grass to grow.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 6 42.9%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 7 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 5 35.7%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new