Disappearing fish ?

yomikey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im new to reefing my tank is about 6 months old and i have already lost over $200 in fish. The first clown sadly committed suicide and some how made it between the glass and my screen lid to find him on top of the screen. That one i get but just recently i had a second clown just disappear along with a yellow watchman gobi. The gobi has been about a month that its been gone and the clown is about 4 or 5 days. My wife came down and both clowns were happy and healthy then an hour or so later one is just gone. Its not in the rocks or the back of the tank on the stand or in the stand it just dissapeared any ideas

Dragon52

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R. Hav you looked in your overflow or sump, sometimes people find lost fish in one or the other.

OP
OP
yomikey

yomikey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R. Hav you looked in your overflow or sump, sometimes people find lost fish in one or the other.
Yes i have look everywhere i can think of. The tank is an all inclusive tank so everything is right there. It blows my mind how its just gone. The only place i cant look is in my dog but my wife would have noticed the dog around the tank i think.

Dragon52

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes i have look everywhere i can think of. The tank is an all inclusive tank so everything is right there. It blows my mind how its just gone. The only place i cant look is in my dog but my wife would have noticed the dog around the tank i think.
Some times they die & the CUC finsh them off in no time it seems. I've lost more fish then I can count in all the years I've had tanks. It happens.

OP
OP
yomikey

yomikey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some times they die & the CUC finsh them off in no time it seems. I've lost more fish then I can count in all the years I've had tanks. It happens.
Thanks its just crazy how one minute its fine then its gone

OP
OP
yomikey

yomikey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pics might help?

Of the tank to get a better idea
Im working on the algae its killing me

20191017_155149.jpg

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
missing fish happens...in fact I rarely find them in a reef tank.....wait until you get firefish ...sometimes they disappear for days/weeks, only to reappear...other times you find them dried up on the floor

OP
OP
yomikey

yomikey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
missing fish happens...in fact I rarely find them in a reef tank.....wait until you get firefish ...sometimes they disappear for days/weeks, only to reappear...other times you find them dried up on the floor
It would suck to find them dead but at least i would know

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, finding a carcass in the tank or dried up is better than these "Alien Abduction" cases.

I had a tile goby travel into my sump and was missing for a month +. Then a return pump stopped and I found him in it, still "fresh." Mystery solved. :(

OP
OP
yomikey

yomikey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, finding a carcass in the tank or dried up is better than these "Alien Abduction" cases.

I had a tile goby travel into my sump and was missing for a month +. Then a return pump stopped and I found him in it, still "fresh." Mystery solved. :(
Not good

H2ODude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm new to this and browsing threads. I too lost one clown on day 2, likely stress. Day three could not find engineer gobi. Few days later found him in the filter; it's a 50 gallon Waterbox and he got through the grate. My biggest loss was my anemone last night, committed suicide in the powerhead. No more anemones until I understand their needs, wants, and habits.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 48 25.5%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 48 25.5%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 43 22.9%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 45 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.1%
Back