Disappointing experience with aqua illumination

skiergd011013

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ill add my experience as well. I work at an AQ and our reef is lit with 3 AI hydras. I don't like them, but it wasnt my decision to go with them. Well, we spent nearly $2,000 on them, and after less than 2 years, two out of the 3 power supplies failed. I talked to customer support, and told them I am baffled that we are having problems with our two year old, $2,000 lights, and could they please make the situation right. Mind you, At the same time, i had a cheapo $80.00 ebay led fixture that was out lasting and out performing these hydras over my 30 gallon reef on my desk. Well, customer service did nothing, except tell us we had to spend an additional 100.00 on new power supplies. So to conclude, i am unhappy with the hydras, and honestly led's overall. This reef used to have 14k metal halides, and it looked much better than the hydras. In the future, i am going with T5's, which I love. People will argue about energy cost etc if you dont use leds, but end of story is that T5s are cheaper (bulbs dont cost much) and they are reliable. Im glad my work bought these things and not me.....

Last edited:

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't use anything from either company, but is their CS the same, or different? I think that they want it to look like they are still different and competing, but this could just be me. I guess that what I am asking is that if you are unhappy with AI, will it be the same way with EcoTech?

Bronx19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The polish is really wearing off the LED technology I'm sensing. I'm in the midst of a new build in a lounge room and I would love to go with the shimmery flashy lights, but the performance, longevity and cost is terrible.

skiergd011013

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The polish is really wearing off the LED technology I'm sensing. I'm in the midst of a new build in a lounge room and I would love to go with the shimmery flashy lights, but the performance, longevity and cost is terrible.
you just pretty much summed it up.

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will say that the LED business model leaves a lot to be desired right now. It seems that making previous lights obsolete and constantly coming out with something better is the way companies are going. Though Kessil doesn't seem to be doing that just yet. The A360we came out almost five years ago? And it's still sold today. They came out with the ap700 but that doesn't replace the A360we but just provides another option that has built in wifi.

But yea I haven't used halides or T5 in ten years until recently. And that technology hasn't changed since I stopped using them. It was like riding a bike and it all came back to me pretty quick. For me that's pretty appealing. I dont want my lights to be obsolete every 2 years, constantly chasing the next upgrade. Other than kessil the other manufacturers can't seem to replace models fast enough.

Bronx19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What really annoys me is this standard and Pro version from Ecotech. Its not as if they built the unit and then thought, 'hey its pretty expensive, we'll give them a cheaper version'. They started with the maximum price the market would bare, knowing that everyone wants to be a 'professional' and will pay.

OP
OP
Cliff717

Cliff717

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well after much thought and debate I think I am going with sb reef lights controlled by my apex. Now I realize I will need at least 5 of these lights raised high off the water and turned down so as to reduce the “hot spots” these black boxes are known for; but I am still a fraction of the price of buying new hydras. I have decided to go this route because I like the fact that
1) they r cheap
2) I can repair every piece of them myself.
No way I am going to spend 2k on lights every two years. I have no problem spending the $ and if there were crazy new tech that I wanted; I would upgrade no prob. But being forced to because Ai refuses to supply replacement parts is leaving a very bad taste in my mouth and will cause me; (a long time ai fan) to look elsewhere.

OP
OP
Cliff717

Cliff717

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't use anything from either company, but is their CS the same, or different? I think that they want it to look like they are still different and competing, but this could just be me. I guess that what I am asking is that if you are unhappy with AI, will it be the same way with EcoTech?
I was talking to ai about my lights and at the same talking to EcoTech about my l1 pump and I was talking to the same cs rep so I would say there cs is the same. Personally I think that is the reason why ai business model has changed to sell new and no longer repair

ShadowR55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought a Red Sea Pinensula 650 with 4 AI Hydra 26 HD lights..... makes me regret getting the deluxe model with these lights.

gabby1210

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate AI lights with all my heart and soul. Source lights aren’t spread broadly enough, controls WAY too complicated. Back to Current and T’s here

luisgo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may be one of the happy customers with my AI leds. After two years with my Hydras 26HD switching from MH's I am more than happy! I control my leds from my phone or my desktop without a problem.
2018-12-15 22.08.00.jpg

OP
OP
Cliff717

Cliff717

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CF4E032C-3EF4-4B96-A73F-78BC5EAEFBDA.jpeg
BF0649B9-8B5D-4C02-B6D1-6F826ED3E3DE.png
9F64A4D1-9524-4F3D-A515-40D21510A98A.jpeg
Well after almost 1.5 years with my sb reef/ t5 combo I am glad I switched!! I love the color! The sb reef lights have been great. And the corals grow like weeds. Here is a newer pic of the tank and just over two months of red dragon growth to prove that these lights can grow even picky sps.

dvbrien

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may be one of the happy customers with my AI leds. After two years with my Hydras 26HD switching from MH's I am more than happy! I control my leds from my phone or my desktop without a problem.
2018-12-15 22.08.00.jpg

Wait another year... better yet call them and pretend you already have a problem and you are out of warranty. LOL see what nonsense you get.

I lost several thousand dollars with this rip off company (AquaIllumination , Aqua Illumination for google searchers). I honestly can't believe that there's not been a class action lawsuit.

Velcro

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I called the company once about a used light that I bought (it was an older AI sol). The light didn't work correctly. They offered me a massive discount on a newer hydra even knowing that I bought a used faulty light lol. Maybe I was just lucky?

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is/was a line of demarcation. Experiences before the EcoTech merger are different than ones after. I do not know the exact date.

Velcro

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is/was a line of demarcation. Experiences before the EcoTech merger are different than ones after. I do not know the exact date.
I'm certain my experience was after they were acquired.

dvbrien

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No matter how you chop it... AI did not live up to their word or quality... Regardless of whether new models appear on the scene, when stuff breaks and they've already guaranteed you'll be covered with replacement parts and upgrades... This crap about how 2 or 3 models have come out since, realize we've been complaining about them (SOLs) since only the hydras. They didn't care about us then or now.
AI SOLs LED Types.jpg

Last edited:

dvbrien

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I called the company once about a used light that I bought (it was an older AI sol). The light didn't work correctly. They offered me a massive discount on a newer hydra even knowing that I bought a used faulty light lol. Maybe I was just lucky?
Define MASSIVE discount. I was offered a WHOPPING $100 off with my 2 year old units towards the then new $689 lights.

Last edited:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 29 37.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 26.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back