Disappointing experience with aqua illumination

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Gosh I can’t say how sorry I feel for those who have bought Ecotech and hydra (one in the same). But for all those who laughed at me and said I was insane for going with current usa marine pro model 4117, I’m so glad. Yes they are not as fancy and no wifi but power wise they will stay right with any of the radions or hydras and I was clumsy and dropped one of them into my tank. Each one of mine is 72 inch long I may add and I was out of warranty. Current sent me a brand new one over night and told me to throw the old one away.

Their customer service is by far the best I have ever experienced. My tank has done very well with their lights , pumps, and dc return pumps.
I will add that when I was doing volunteer work for some local aquariums, neither company would give any of the aquariums a discount, even if they bought 20 plus units. Most of the aquariums I see and still talk to, run Chinese black box current usa, mh or t5. I have seen some mars aqua and few other no names and all their tanks look great. But with my limited experience, with both companies was never even mediocre, it was usually terrible.

I believe the op will be a lot happier with the black boxes over the hydras. At least if they break you don’t need a second mortgage on your home to buy more.

OP
OP
Cliff717

Cliff717

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One more year with my cheap sb reef lights!
I love them!
37786A47-26C8-4245-99FE-2B96B67519E8.jpeg

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If I didn't do complete DIY, my next best route would be the "Chinese blackbox" type light.

They arguably work just as well as the 800 dollar light at a fraction of the cost. After that, It all comes down to repairability. I am my own warranty. I control the spectrum, everything is replaceable/repairable and the fact that I still come out hundreds of dollars below what I would have paid for a "high end" light is just icing in the cake.

Stephen D. Brown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same story,

Purchased 12 hydras for two tanks, one home, 1 office about 4 years ago. Director goes out at home. Lights work but they no longer sell the controller. Good news is for $250.00 per light they will convert to new hardware. Bad news, that program just expired. 4 large wasted. Bought 12 new hydras. 3 have gone bad in 18 months. Same story out of service each time. “ Exposed to water “, non-repairable. Will sell factory direct replacement for $500.00. BTW did I mention my tank at home has a completely closed top? Looking for lights that will last more than 18 months. Over 9 grand spent. Buyer beware!

PlasmaBoy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Biggest problem is the good quality but cheap lights aren't getting any news time. Product placement is strong, business loves these overpriced lights. Almost every business like coral farms and LFS etc are all given these lights to prove and show that their lights are the only lights capable of growing great looking coral.

sh@rkB@it

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My experience with AI was very good. I had an AI Prime HD with a blown violet led. I contacted them via their online support site. They responded back to me within 24 hours and instructed me to send the unit in for repair.

Two days after AI received the unit, they sent me a status update by email. The service person said they were replacing my faulty Prime Hd with a brand new unit at no cost. Not even shipping. I was amazed, I was ready to pay the quote they gave me to repair my Prime. Got the new unit back within a week of sending it.

The three times I contacted their support I received excellent service. Luckily my tank is only 20 gallons so I don’t have to spend thousands of dollars on lights.

I would be very disappointed if I had to dish out $2000 for new lights. If my two Prime”s die and can’t be repaired, I may go with T5’s. Seems like high end LED’s are like high end sports cars. High upfront costs and high repair costs.

I understand the OP’s pain and would feel disappointed if faced with the same situation but my experience with AI has been nothing but excellent.

Naturalreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I had issues with a brand new Radion G4 XR30 Pro, seconds out of the box and their customer service was horrible. I have owned every Aqua illumination light and every Ecotech light. Spent a lot of money on both companies when they were separate entities. I wont purchase any more products from Ecotech.

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had an AI Vega, 2 hydra 52 HD’s and 2-26 HD’s with zero issues. The fan in my Vega went out after 5 years or so but I called and had replacement later that week for less than $40.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I normally don't bother to read any LE threads, but this one keeps coming to the top over and over.
It is worse than I thought!!!
I use metal halides and am used to deal with amazing customer service from companies like Hamilton Technologies. I also had amazing results using T5 fixtures for 15+ years over some of my systems and ATI is the best in many aspects!
I'm truly sorry for the trouble some of you are going through!
Best wishes!

pdxmonkeyboy

Sticks!! Give me the sticks!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the MH fans out there. I prefer them to LEDs. But here’s the thing.... they are electricity hogs. Our power bill would definitely increase if I replaced my Radion fixture with MH/t5.

Unless you live in a hot climate and need a chiller this is simply not true. The radion is 190 full boar vs a 250 halide. I live in oregon so if the MH are not on, then the heaters are. Or at least that is what the apex graphs tell me.

I had an AI prime over a tank, was 18 months old and just started flickering one day. They told me "probably water damage".. pretty much told me too pound sand.

So i scraped my skimmer into a box and mailed it to them.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you live in a hot climate and need a chiller this is simply not true. The radion is 190 full boar vs a 250 halide. I live in oregon so if the MH are not on, then the heaters are. Or at least that is what the apex graphs tell me.

I had an AI prime over a tank, was 18 months old and just started flickering one day. They told me "probably water damage".. pretty much told me too pound sand.

Also the temperature of the water can be controlled simply by placing a fan between the fixture and the water surface. If you need a chiller because of the ambient temperature you will need with LEDs too. The halides are also on less hours than the LEDs.

Last edited:

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I live in south Alabama. The MHs on my 500 cost $100+ a month.

AngryInch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is an old thread, but if anyone still has their old AI lights that are broken. I'll buy them if the price is right.
Buying broken Vega, gen1 Hydra and Hydra 52.

luisgo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Three years with my Hydras 26HD. Still doing their job!! First photo August 2017 second photo October 2020

2017-08-10 23.50.20.jpg

20201011_182620.jpg

20201011_171450.jpg

20201011_171204.jpg

20201011_171407.jpg

20201011_171053.jpg

20201011_183201.jpg

Last edited:

KorD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my 52’s, but I just got them for less then $400 each.
I wonder if rapidled has anything that will work for you. I have used them in the past for building my own lights.

Cabinetman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few years ago I bought some used ai sol super blue that didn’t have the controller with it thinking oh those aren’t that old I’ll have no problem buying a replacement for them. Boyz was I wrong. I mean ya. They were probably 4 or 5 years old but still I should be able to buy replacement parts for led lights that were said to last 10000 hours. After that experience I sold everything ai and I won’t ever buy anything with that name on it.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 29 37.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 26.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back