OP
F

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! Thank God! Nothing beats quick thinking. I think you might want to consider making a couple of good reefing buddies that will have your back in an emergency ;)

I have some in the area. Really didn't need anyone's help except for some salt. Seascape covered that with no problem.

AllSignsPointToFish

"No Longer The Guy Without FaceBook"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some in the area. Really didn't need anyone's help except for some salt. Seascape covered that with no problem.
That's awesome! I'm kind of paranoid about having supplies on hand....maybe too many supplies :/. Lol

OP
OP
F

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's awesome! I'm kind of paranoid about having supplies on hand....maybe too many supplies :/. Lol

I hear you. I normally have a couple boxes of salt down stairs, but recently I've been removing my sand bed small sections at a time and been burning through it.

When it rains, it pours sometimes or it was a perfect storm or Murphy's law or me just not paying attention or LARS......etc.

At least it wasn't when I was on vacation!!!!!! Lol

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad everything worked out. I hear a weird hum from my stand I freak out.

Not sure if this is applicable for your issue or I am almost positive you know about it.
I put A tee in my ATO line The tee has a hose to acts as a siphon break. My ATO is right below my tank and I ran my air line up the back of the tank.

It’s not comparable to your system. Just a thought in case you can use it.

AllSignsPointToFish

"No Longer The Guy Without FaceBook"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad everything worked out. I hear a weird hum from my stand I freak out.

Not sure if this is applicable for your issue or I am almost positive you know about it.
I put A tee in my ATO line The tee has a hose to acts as a siphon break. My ATO is right below my tank and I ran my air line up the back of the tank.

It’s not comparable to your system. Just a thought in case you can use it.
I actually zip tied my ATO line to the pump discharge to ensure it won't slip and initiate a siphon .

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Nice little story and glad it all worked out !!!!

Most people would have . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

flipped-out-the-powerpuff-girls.jpg

SteadyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny that many of us have had this happen too, including me. However, when i had it happen, my PMUP (ATO pump) did kick in, so the water just went back and forth between ATO tank and sump. ;). I learned of it when I noticed on Apex that the PMUP kept coming on and off.

Glad this didn't turn into a disaster!!

Do you not have an on the floor water sensor down there? I have two around my basement sump and ATO tank. Maybe something to look at when your back rolling bank. ;)

OP
OP
F

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny that many of us have had this happen too, including me. However, when i had it happen, my PMUP (ATO pump) did kick in, so the water just went back and forth between ATO tank and sump. ;). I learned of it when I noticed on Apex that the PMUP kept coming on and off.

Glad this didn't turn into a disaster!!

Do you not have an on the floor water sensor down there? I have two around my basement sump and ATO tank. Maybe something to look at when your back rolling bank. ;)

I should get a sensor, but as with everything in this hobby, these events are far a few between. I chalk it up to me being lazy. I posted this thread as a community awareness thread for others to learn from.

Thank you for the kind words! I appreciate them.

OP
OP
F

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm at 94 and Harvester. St. Peters technically.

That's right. It's been awhile since I was on RC. That area was my old stomping grounds. I grew up off St.peters road down towards where St.peters runs into mid rivers.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually had a similar siphon event happen the same day at work.

I was doing a salt bath treatment on a tank of steelhead. We use two sump pumps and garden hose to recirculate water while doing baths. I shut off main water inflow, turned on pumps and added salt. I treat for one hour.

I turned the main flow back on, unplugged pumps, pulled the hose end out of the tank. I noticed it draining on the floor, assumed what was in the hose.

I came back an hour later and there was water draining on the floor.....I'd left the pumps in the tank so they continued a siphon.

BellaCoop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Super glad to hear everything went better! Who needs an energy drink when you wake up to a Tank Emergency! Now that is adrenaline hahahaha

watchguy123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just another wonderful example that no matter how you prepare, no matter what the numerous backup and fail safe systems you have in place, the failure happens at the seemingly only point of failure that you thought would never happen or was simply unimaginable. All just part of reefing

Glad you caught it in time

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 35.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 37 30.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 30 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back