Disaster on Flippers reef

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Disaster on Flippers reef this morning!

I wake up at 7:00am this morning and go into the living room to get to the kitchen for some coffee and I hear a rattle. At that hour in the morning my lights on the tank aren't on. I walk over to the tank and open the canopy doors. No water is coming from the basement sump!

Go down stairs and there's water on the basement floor! Not a huge amount, but the return section of the sump is almost dry! I turn off the return pump and start evaluating what happened. Nothing has leaked, no sump tank failure and everything is dry. On to the ATO reservoir, it's wet underneath and it's full of water!

Bingo, the ATO discharge tube has slipped and is under water in the skimmer section of the sump. It back siphoned the system water into it, filled the reservoir with saltwater and over flowed on to the floor. Why didn't the electronic float switch kick on and refill the system is at this point a mystery.

Now the wife had started a new job recently and just got paid and paid a chunk of bills. They hold back a pay check and for almost a month Ive been covering all the bills. It's been tight lately. I'm broke at the moment and get paid next Friday, that's when I was to pick up some salt.

In a pinch I called up my friends at seascape studio and told them what happened and said I have some coral to trade for some salt. They graciously accepted the trade for a box of salt.

Kudos and a Big shout out to Seascape Studio for helping Flipper out!

img_20190302_121524-jpg.996381

Rushed home and made 20 gallons as fast as my flippers could mix it and in it went. Mixed water temp was 65 and went added to the system it dropped the tank temp to 76. Everything in the DT looks beautiful and fish are happy! Thank you God and once again Seascape Studio!

Man, what a morning!!!

OP
OP
F

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_20190302_162311.jpg

Flippers supervisors! Lol

IMG_20190302_162036.jpg

IMG_20190302_162118.jpg

The culprit of this^. Lol

DSC_0165.JPG

Skimmer out and rock from the return section kept under water in this section.

DSC_0166.JPG

Just enough water now to run the system.

OP
OP
F

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wew! That was a close one. Glad all is well. Nice to have good LFS to help out ;)

I have Petco as my back up :eek::rolleyes:

Me too! Petco, better than nothing at all!

seaplane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So glad it wasn't worse. There's nothing more frightening to an aquarist than an unfamiliar sound coming from your tank, or a puddle of water on the floor. I think we've all been there a time or two. I once pulled into my garage, which is in my basement under the room where my tank is, to see water dripping down from the ceiling! Ran up to find that my macaw had gotten out of his cage and went behind the tank and chewed off the return hose!! Bless his heart, he now resides in the Knoxville Zoo. Kudos to you LFS for knowing how to treat a valued customer in need.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 37 52.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.6%
Back