Discouraged by flatworms

toadstool_paradise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So a few weeks ago I noticed some flatworms on my rocks and this week my toadstools were all closed and shedding over and over and I looked closer and I could see dozens of tiny brown flatworms on them. Disgusted I ordered flatworm exit right away. Followed the instructions exactly for my 20 gallon reef. The next two hours I spent siphoning many flatworms from the tank and did a 20% water change with carbon. A few of my toadstools began to open right away and some did not. I peeked at them 3 hrs after the treatment and to my horror, noticed a couple flatworms on top. I’m feeling pretty bad about this still.

Can I do another treatment? If so when should I hit the tank again? I siphoned so many of these darn flatworms I thought for sure they all died. Guess not. Really disappointed :(
This is a small tank and I already have 3 fish which is my max. If I absolutely need to get a yellow corris wrasse I can and rehome one of my fish I will.
Suggestions are welcome, thanks.

William Mumford

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So a few weeks ago I noticed some flatworms on my rocks and this week my toadstools were all closed and shedding over and over and I looked closer and I could see dozens of tiny brown flatworms on them. Disgusted I ordered flatworm exit right away. Followed the instructions exactly for my 20 gallon reef. The next two hours I spent siphoning many flatworms from the tank and did a 20% water change with carbon. A few of my toadstools began to open right away and some did not. I peeked at them 3 hrs after the treatment and to my horror, noticed a couple flatworms on top. I’m feeling pretty bad about this still.

Can I do another treatment? If so when should I hit the tank again? I siphoned so many of these darn flatworms I thought for sure they all died. Guess not. Really disappointed :(
This is a small tank and I already have 3 fish which is my max. If I absolutely need to get a yellow corris wrasse I can and rehome one of my fish I will.
Suggestions are welcome, thanks.

Flatworm exit can ruin a tank it is recommended that you siphon as many Flatworms as possible and use flatworm exit with less flatworms in the tank. Flatworm exit can create a big ammonia spike because of all the dying worms.

OP
OP
toadstool_paradise

toadstool_paradise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flatworm exit can ruin a tank it is recommended that you siphon as many Flatworms as possible and use flatworm exit with less flatworms in the tank. Flatworm exit can create a big ammonia spike because of all the dying worms.
Yes I followed the instructions as it says to siphon them before which I did and then during treatment as well. No I have no crabs.

tankstudy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It usually takes several treatments to eradicate them especially if you have a high number of flatworms.

I tend to give the tank a few days rest and then nuke again.

Reab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an issue with them a while ago, yellow coris, Spotted mandarin, and emerald crabs did nothing. Just kept using flatworm exit and they were gone after 4 treatments. I also dipped infested corals between treatments. Just remember to use new dip for each coral

OP
OP
toadstool_paradise

toadstool_paradise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an issue with them a while ago, yellow coris, Spotted mandarin, and emerald crabs did nothing. Just kept using flatworm exit and they were gone after 4 treatments. I also dipped infested corals between treatments. Just remember to use new dip for each coral
Yeah I’ve done three treatments and haven’t seen one for a week so I’m staying positive!

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blue Star Leopard Wrasse for me. Beautiful fish and constant hunters. When the first one hit the water it swam directly up to my large elegance and started carefully plucking them off. Within a week or so there wasn't a FW to be seen. That was a few years ago.

And FWIW - I tried manual removal, but I have other things to do with my life as well. I tried FWE at suggested strength, 2x, and nearly 3x. It took out some, but the ones it didn't came back with a vengeance.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 68 56.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.7%
Back