Discussion: Would You Rather 0 N or 0 P

Which Would You Rather?

• Total voters

Poseidon03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just wanted to get a discussion going and see what everyone thinks. If you had to choose, would you have zero nitrate and readable phosphate or zero phosphate and readable nitrate?

Personally, I'd rather have zero nitrate since the nitrate test kits are not as accurate as the phosphate ones. Also dosing aminos would help with the very low nitrates. What's your thought though?

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree about the test results, kinda. I would rather have some of both, and a typical hobby P kit will often read zero when there is a tiny amount available, which is true in a good way just not good for knowing that the situation is.
Nitrates often shows presents of No3 when you have NO2 present but no NO3.
Presuming bad test results is ok for a Fish tank but a carp shoot when you are trying to get colors and growth from the finicky sps.
My fish tank has 40 ppb phosphate and zero nitrates

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I had to choose them zero nitrate. Find it easier to dose it with predictable results than phosphate.
If you mix the Phosphate correctly or Follow the product dosing instructions it’s pretty easy to get predictable results. Although if you’re using the wrong test kit or meter it may be very difficult. :)

killer2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is still relatively new (4 months old) and if I blink the wrong way phosphate bottoms out. I test everyday at the same time so I can study how it flucuates. Right now I'm dosing 3 mL NeoPhos (daily) in a 45 gallon system to keep my PO4 levels around 0.05 to 0.1.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is still relatively new (4 months old) and if I blink the wrong way phosphate bottoms out. I test everyday at the same time so I can study how it flucuates. Right now I'm dosing 3 mL NeoPhos (daily) in a 45 gallon system to keep my PO4 levels around 0.05 to 0.1.
It will read higher in the AM. Does Brightwell specify what ppm… 3mL is? I know that doesn’t list their actual PO4 source. I suspect it’s potassium phosphate.

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps phosphate readings not what we should be seeking. Tropic Marin now offering a feed because supposedly corals can’t efficiently absorb the phosphates in solution. Oddly, this mimics how corals on the reef obtain it from detritus. Perhaps we remove too much detritus, too.

I’m also of the camp that thinks we shouldn’t be chasing nitrates and perhaps a constant feeding will provide the ammonium they actually seek. Nitrates just being something that can be tracked since ammonia will go to zero quickly in a tank with a well established biological filter. Nitrates, not so fast. Just feed more often.

HBtank

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrate as there are other sources like ammonia and other organics that are in flux and not captured on a nitrate test.

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just wanted to get a discussion going and see what everyone thinks. If you had to choose, would you have zero nitrate and readable phosphate or zero phosphate and readable nitrate?

Personally, I'd rather have zero nitrate since the nitrate test kits are not as accurate as the phosphate ones. Also dosing aminos would help with the very low nitrates. What's your thought though?
It’s a complicated question as the first paragraph is asking to choose and on the second paragraph you are relying on the inaccurate test to have some nitrates.

personally I rather have both at all times, aminos aid a organisms to absorb nitrogen, I wouldn’t rely on aminos alone to ensure the health of my coral.

OP
OP
Poseidon03

Poseidon03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps phosphate readings not what we should be seeking. Tropic Marin now offering a feed because supposedly corals can’t efficiently absorb the phosphates in solution. Oddly, this mimics how corals on the reef obtain it from detritus. Perhaps we remove too much detritus, too.

I’m also of the camp that thinks we shouldn’t be chasing nitrates and perhaps a constant feeding will provide the ammonium they actually seek. Nitrates just being something that can be tracked since ammonia will go to zero quickly in a tank with a well established biological filter. Nitrates, not so fast. Just feed more often.

I definitely agree with not chasing, but it is best to follow trends and keep it under 7ppm for algae control. It's just with how things are now-a-days, it's more common to see 0 nitrate or phosphate than elevated nutrients. I just wanted to see what others thoughts were on the subject and how they run their tanks. Also the phosphate thing was something I learned about recently (within the last year), and it surprised me. Bacteria dosing has really become a super beneficial thing now.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a complicated question as the first paragraph is asking to choose and on the second paragraph you are relying on the inaccurate test to have some nitrates.

personally I rather have both at all times, aminos aid a organisms to absorb nitrogen, I wouldn’t rely on aminos alone to ensure the health of my coral.
+1 on this :)

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you mix the Phosphate correctly or Follow the product dosing instructions it’s pretty easy to get predictable results. Although if you’re using the wrong test kit or meter it may be very difficult. :)

Ya I guess I am too stupid to dose phosphate and test it but plenty smart enough to do the same thing with nitrate.....or that there is something else going on in my system with phosphate.

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I definitely agree with not chasing, but it is best to follow trends and keep it under 7ppm for algae control. It's just with how things are now-a-days, it's more common to see 0 nitrate or phosphate than elevated nutrients. I just wanted to see what others thoughts were on the subject and how they run their tanks. Also the phosphate thing was something I learned about recently (within the last year), and it surprised me. Bacteria dosing has really become a super beneficial thing now.
The point I’m making is that one could bottom both nutrients out and then possibly by overfeeding constantly keep it in suspension as it’s processed. According to Tropic Marin, corals might need phosphates fed directly vs being soluble.

It’s much easier for me to zero things out and over feed. When I do that. Only issue I have is algae but that’s always going to exist and why CUC and tangs live in most tanks.

Have never had dinos in 40 plus years and fact is I only found out about them once social media brought it to my attention.

WWC feeds on the hour every hour lights are on. Could be most underfeed their systems vs over filtering them.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 42.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 24 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 39 34.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back