Dispar Anthias falling apart

Albertoinbox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning.

I got a dispar anthias from liveaquaria last wednesday (20/01), it arrived looking healthy but with a couple of scars on the right side which I thought were just blemishes. Day after day these scars are getting bigger and today I can say that there is definitely something wrong with this fish. His scars are big now and his fins are falling apart. It must be itching a lot since he cant stay away for very long from the cleaner/fire blood shrimps to get picked on.

He's eating ok. No aggression from other fish. All livestock doing well, including a Blue Gudgeon Goby that arrived together with him. Water is fine.

I wonder if this fish will eventually die and if it is a disease that can spread and kill everything else in my tank. And of course if there is something I can do about it besides complaining to Liveaquaria.

Thank you.

IMG_3378.jpg
IMG_3384.jpg
IMG_3392.jpg
IMG_3389.jpg

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd get this little guy out of your tank in to QT ASAP. Those more experienced than I can tell you how to treat but there is no way I'd leave that in there.

Deezill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How about posting some pics without the blue lights? That will also help ... along with all water parameters.
+1 on removing the blues. This community loves helping people but we don't have orange gel filters built into our eyes lol. WOuld be nice to see a clear visible pic of the little guy to help and give proper direction

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plus one on needing pics under white light. Moving it to a treatment tank is fine, as long as a treatment plan is immediately implemented.
Are there any other fish in with it? Even under blue light, I think I can see damage from being attacked by something.
My understanding is that liveaquaria drop ships from a major LA importer on 104th street. I worry that some of their fish could be double bounced- imported by them, and the reshipped a day or so later, this can really stress delicate fish like dispars.
Jay

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the ‘stripes’ develop into ulcerations then uronema is a possibility.

Dal-Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anthias are notorious for getting bacteria infection be can over come with a really good diet and has worked for me. He is eating so that's good. I have two Lyetail and one got pretty bad bacteria infection when I got them. I soaked food(mini mysis, fish eggs, LRS, Rods, PE) in Selcon. I feed through out the day. He got really skinny but now he got a pot belly and his color is getting much darker. Anyway that is what worked for me. Good luck

OP
OP
Albertoinbox

Albertoinbox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It took him a while to get used to the bright white lights and come out so I could take pictures. I'll leave the lights like this in case you need more. Thank you all.

IMG_3455.jpg
IMG_3458.jpg
IMG_3486.jpg

OP
OP
Albertoinbox

Albertoinbox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get that baby out and into a hospital tank. Looks like could be brooklynella or a bad infection. Need some pictures with whites. May not survive long. How long has it been like that?
Since the day it arrived last wednesday (4 days today), they were just two tiny (0.5-1mm) spots on the right side. I noticed right away but thought it could be just scars.

OP
OP
Albertoinbox

Albertoinbox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pieces of what looks like skin floating in the tank, including this big piece. Never seen this before and I dont know what it is but I would suspect its coming off of the Anthias.

IMG_3503.jpg

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is still alive, so guessing not brook. Looks more like a bacteria infection. Very pretty. I would treat with a triple cure type antibiotic. Do you have a microscope to look at that item you found to confirm what it might be?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Under white light, it looks even more like it has been attacked by other fish. I s that a midas blenny in with it? Those can be kinda of nasty. Don't be surprised if you don't see fighting - while you are watching your fish, they stop fighting and watch you! Also, it only takes a few bites each day to cause damage like this and you'll likely never see it happen. That doesn't mean that the fish may not have something else going on with it. That angled stripe on the right side could be Uronema. Secondary bacterial infection is also a risk here. Isolating it and treating with an antibiotic would be once course of action you could take.

Jay

OP
OP
Albertoinbox

Albertoinbox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, that is a Midas Blenny. He nipped on the anthias the first couple of hours but seems to have backed up before I could see any damage and they constantly swim together now. Sure, he might still be aggressive when I'm not around.

I didnt have another tank so I went and setup one, a 20 gallon:
IMG_3514.jpg

I have never treated a fish before and I dont know what medicine to get. There are many on the market and some of them dont say if they're antibiotic or not, some say fungus and fin rot and things like that but I would rather ask if you can reccomend a specific antibiotic or at least the best active ingredient.

The next step would be figure out how the heck am I going to catch this fish...I've used a fish trap before but that can take days since I can only try when its feeding time, which happens only twice a day.

Thank you for your help.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Albertoinbox

Albertoinbox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is still alive, so guessing not brook. Looks more like a bacteria infection. Very pretty. I would treat with a triple cure type antibiotic. Do you have a microscope to look at that item you found to confirm what it might be?
I sold my microscope last year when I moved. I didnt use it much but understand the importance, if I need one I'll get it but really want to tone down on all the clutter from all the aquarium gear. Besides, I had to get a 20 gallon tank yesterday!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, that is a Midas Blenny. He nipped on the anthias the first couple of hours but seems to have backed up before I could see any damage and they constantly swim together now. Sure, he might still be aggressive when I'm not around.

I didnt have another tank so I went and setup one, a 20 gallon:
IMG_3514.jpg

I have never treated a fish before and I dont know what medicine to get. There are many on the market and some of them dont say if they're antibiotic or not, some say fungus and fin rot and things like that but I would rather ask if you can reccomend a specific antibiotic or at least the best active ingredient.

The next step would be figure out how the heck am I going to catch this fish...I've used a fish trap before but that can take days since I can only try when its feeding time, which happens only twice a day.

Thank you for your help.
I would use a true antibiotic, not a “tonic”. Not sure what you might have, but two choices would be Neoplex or Maracyn 2. Any broad spectrum, gram negative antibiotic should work except tetracycline.
Jay

OP
OP
Albertoinbox

Albertoinbox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I woke up and saw this:

IMG_3558.jpg

Too late to save her o_O

IMG_3560.jpg

Didnt have time to get her out of the tank and into the quarantine tank, setup just for her and treat her. Paid fast shipping to get the trap and the Neoplex here tomorrow for nothing...what a shame. Poor thing.

Not going to comment on getting a sick fish from Liveaquaria or not.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry! When fish die with flared gills like that, it can be a sign of gill disease or low dissolved oxygen. Uronema can also cause that.
Jay

OP
OP
Albertoinbox

Albertoinbox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your time Jay

Let me know if I should do anything regarding making sure that the other fish in my DT are safe from this.

Last edited:

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 17 34.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 12.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 16 32.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 9 18.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.0%
Back