Is this Uronema?

Paul Kachirsky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got these dispar Anthias recently and they are showing these weird red marks. Is this Uronema? It’s one 4 of them. Should I euthanize them? I have chromis, damsel and Evansi Anthias in the Qt with the dispar but they aren’t showing any signs of illness. That is why I am curious if I should euthanize the dispar to help the others not get sick? Treatment? I did have a fifth one that has since died.

IMG_8904.jpeg IMG_8907.jpeg IMG_8906.jpeg IMG_8905.jpeg

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got these dispar Anthias recently and they are showing these weird red marks. Is this Uronema? It’s one 4 of them. Should I euthanize them? I have chromis, damsel and Evansi Anthias in the Qt with the dispar but they aren’t showing any signs of illness. That is why I am curious if I should euthanize the dispar to help the others not get sick? Treatment? I did have a fifth one that has since died.

IMG_8904.jpeg IMG_8907.jpeg IMG_8906.jpeg IMG_8905.jpeg

Yes, the first photo does look like Uronema, the second photo (other side of the same fish?) looks like a uronema lesion plus some general damage from tankmate aggression. Here is my article on Uronema:

Jay

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
yes agree with jay. are they in a qt or a display tank

OP
OP
Paul Kachirsky

Paul Kachirsky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, the first photo does look like Uronema, the second photo (other side of the same fish?) looks like a uronema lesion plus some general damage from tankmate aggression. Here is my article on Uronema:

Jay
Thank you! Will a UV Sterilizer kill it out of the tank since its water born vs host?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thank you! Will a UV Sterilizer kill it out of the tank since its water born vs host?
I do not believe it will - and if it decreases - it can easily come back.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I had about a 3 foot in diameter carpet anemone - which was easily shared with 3 skunk clowns.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No - Uronema infections in fish are internal. When it is found free living, It is not “water borne” to any great extent, it mostly lives on surfaces in the tank so the would not be exposed to the UV.

Jay

tomtheturkey

Reef Wizard
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did you source your Dispar? I am looking to eventually get some and Uronema is a concern.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 131 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 15 6.7%
Back