• FCA274C8-E6D9-4702-A726-6CAD81DF93F7.jpeg
    FCA274C8-E6D9-4702-A726-6CAD81DF93F7.jpeg
    224 KB · Views: 73

ReeferHD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How's your success been keeping a frogfish in your fuge?

I've always wanted to do this. What's the set up?
Believe it or not i got him from Petco, he's been with me about 6 months. the tank is a 54 gallon with a 20 gallon long converted into a sump, there is no powerhead in the chaeto section and the frogfish is fed frozen bits of squid, clam and krill, he is a quite happy in there and he's a young one so it wasn't very hard to get him eating, he is never stressed or bothered by me when cleaning in there either, he will soon go to a 6 gallon NPS/macro tank when my puffer outgrows it. i think the biggest factor in getting frogfish to eat is making sure they are comfortable in their environment.

Treehrtsme

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Believe it or not i got him from Petco, he's been with me about 6 months. the tank is a 54 gallon with a 20 gallon long converted into a sump, there is no powerhead in the chaeto section and the frogfish is fed frozen bits of squid, clam and krill, he is a quite happy in there and he's a young one so it wasn't very hard to get him eating, he is never stressed or bothered by me when cleaning in there either, he will soon go to a 6 gallon NPS/macro tank when my puffer outgrows it. i think the biggest factor in getting frogfish to eat is making sure they are comfortable in their environment.
6 gallon is really small for a frogfish, do you know the species? How big is the current fuge?

What did Petco charge you for him

Treehrtsme

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
he was $40, and i'm pretty sure he's a painted frogfish, he's barely 1.5 inches long.
That's what I love about Petco. I've found gold there just because they really don't know what they have. Painted frogfish will get big though. Probably 8 inches down the road.

It's been one of my aspirations to keep an angler in my fuge, but I'm not running a dt big enough to justify a 10-20g fuge. I've been busy building custom sumps but I figured I'll build a 46 and eventually a 72 with a minimized skimmer chamber and maybe a separate ato so I can have a much larger fuge and potentially some area for fragging. I like the mechanics and customizations of modern sumps and would prefer to actually display them unlike an aio.

I was originally going to do a 40b with a 30l converted to a sump and then a 20h display fuge, but now I'm just considering a large sump feeding partially into a frag tank and mostly back into itself with some single species livestock. Right now I'm mostly interested in frogfish and toby puffers. Neither are entirely reef safe and I don't think I'd put them together.

Let me know how things go with the little guy

ReeferHD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I love about Petco. I've found gold there just because they really don't know what they have. Painted frogfish will get big though. Probably 8 inches down the road.

It's been one of my aspirations to keep an angler in my fuge, but I'm not running a dt big enough to justify a 10-20g fuge. I've been busy building custom sumps but I figured I'll build a 46 and eventually a 72 with a minimized skimmer chamber and maybe a separate ato so I can have a much larger fuge and potentially some area for fragging. I like the mechanics and customizations of modern sumps and would prefer to actually display them unlike an aio.

I was originally going to do a 40b with a 30l converted to a sump and then a 20h display fuge, but now I'm just considering a large sump feeding partially into a frag tank and mostly back into itself with some single species livestock. Right now I'm mostly interested in frogfish and toby puffers. Neither are entirely reef safe and I don't think I'd put them together.

Let me know how things go with the little guy
oh i know quite well how big these guys can get haha, i'll keep you updated.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 29 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 131 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.1%
Back