Display Light as Refugium Light?

ReefGenesis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is currently running zero nitrates. It has me a bit concerned because I know this could bring some bad things like Dino’s. I attribute some of this to my Refugium Chaeto pulling too many nutrients out of the water. Not 100% sure, but it seems likely.

I’ve been using a cheap Amazon grow light on a timer, but I just upgraded my display light to a Hydra 32HD and am considering using the Nicrew 50w light I had previously been using in my Refugium instead, as it would allow me to control intensity (I have the Nicrew HyperReef controller).

Has anyone done anything similar? Is this even viable? The controller allows me to adjust the intensity of white and blue separately. If this could work, what ratio should I try using? The Nicrew has 1 red LED and 1 green LED, but it doesn’t allow one to controll them specifically. It just sort of lumps them in with the whites.

Any suggestions? I’d like to have more control over my fuge light in hopes that I can keep the Chaeto alive while getting my nutrient levels up a bit, and be able grow the Chaeto when I need it.

ReefEco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey ReefGenesis - If you have a new Hydra32HD - that is more controllable with more color channels I would guess than your fuge light? I believe AI has a free app that you can use to control the Hydra32HD - at least I assume you can via the app? I'm not familiar with the Nicrew, but I think the Hydra32HD has more channels than white and blue, as well as overall intensity controls...

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use a reef light for a refugium. I like a whiter look to my refugium as its easier to see in the sump.

trevorhiller

Reefing Nurse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've seen several people using the AI Prime for the refugiums. A "display" light will definitely work and can be fine tuned to the spectrum for the chaeto since they are full spectrum lights. However, it's going to have a quite a bit of light/PAR in the sump and will probably speed up the chaeto growth which is going to suck up even more nutrients keeping you at 0. You may want to wait to employ this until you actually need it (high N/P levels) so you don't starve your corals.

OP
OP
ReefGenesis

ReefGenesis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen several people using the AI Prime for the refugiums. A "display" light will definitely work and can be fine tuned to the spectrum for the chaeto since they are full spectrum lights. However, it's going to have a quite a bit of light/PAR in the sump and will probably speed up the chaeto growth which is going to suck up even more nutrients keeping you at 0. You may want to wait to employ this until you actually need it (high N/P levels) so you don't starve your corals.
This is great to know. At the moment, before reading any replies, I have the Nicrew set to come on for 3 hours. I have the whites set to 50% and blues to 5%- literally just a guess. I don’t want to cause any Chaeto die off, so what’s the bare minimum to keep it alive and not have it pull so many nutrients? I love that a Refugium can be treated like a tunable filter, but I have some learning to do in this area.

The AI Prime some are using in their refugium is much more tunable than this Nicrew, which has rudimentary control. Of whites and blues.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ReefGenesis

ReefGenesis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey ReefGenesis - If you have a new Hydra32HD - that is more controllable with more color channels I would guess than your fuge light? I believe AI has a free app that you can use to control the Hydra32HD - at least I assume you can via the app? I'm not familiar with the Nicrew, but I think the Hydra32HD has more channels than white and blue, as well as overall intensity controls...
Totally agree. The Hydra is being used for my display tank since it’s much more controllable. The AI app isn’t perfect, but it’s allowed me to dial things in to where I like them for viewing.

I’m hoping to use the Nicrew that had been over my tank previously as my fuge light since it’s a lot more controllable than the simple on/off control I had with the cheap grow light. I need to tone the light down to get my nitrates to a better level while keeping my Chaeto alive.

ReefEco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I misunderstood your post ; ) When you said use the Nicrew "instead" I thought you were going to use it in your display instead of the Hydra, which, luckily, we both think doesn't make a lot of sense, LOL. An adjustable fuge light is great - (more control the better in my opinion!) as it is another way to dial in nutrient export and tune your chaeto growth - but you are already thinking that, so I'm just trying to give you validation : )

OP
OP
ReefGenesis

ReefGenesis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No worries. I appreciate the replies. It’s good to know I may be on the right track with this. Now I just need to get it dialed in without causing more harm than good.

OP
OP
ReefGenesis

ReefGenesis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone know what the minimum lighting requirements are to keep Chaeto alive, not growing?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is great to know. At the moment, before reading any replies, I have the Nicrew set to come on for 3 hours. I have the whites set to 50% and blues to 5%- literally just a guess. I don’t want to cause any Chaeto die off, so what’s the bare minimum to keep it alive and not have it pull so many nutrients? I love that a Refugium can be treated like a tunable filter, but I have some learning to do in this area.

The AI Prime some are using in their refugium is much more tunable than this Nicrew, which has rudimentary control. Of whites and blues.

You can definitely run it more than 3 hours lol

OP
OP
ReefGenesis

ReefGenesis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can definitely run it more than 3 hours lol
Oh, I know that. :) I had been doing that before, but with my nitrates at zero, I don’t want to have the Chaeto creating a bigger problem. That’s why I’m asking for the bare minimum until nitrate levels come up again.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, I know that. :) I had been doing that before, but with my nitrates at zero, I don’t want to have the Chaeto creating a bigger problem. That’s why I’m asking for the bare minimum until nitrate levels come up again.

Whenever my chaeto starts to drain my tank of nitrogen, I just feed more :)

I figure it's a win win for my coral and fish haha

OP
OP
ReefGenesis

ReefGenesis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whenever my chaeto starts to drain my tank of nitrogen, I just feed more :)

I figure it's a win win for my coral and fish haha
Been doing that very thing. Gotta say my fish are loving me for sure. My clowns are looking like piggies. :D

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 40 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.4%
Back