Display refugium ideas

goodtimes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a spare 20g tank and I think I want a display refugium. It would be a stand alone skimmerless, sump less tank. I was thinking of using a couple small powerheads, a heater and compact fluorescent light. I would like a diverse group ag macro algae and maybe add some pipefish once it gets going. I have some more research to do on stocking. Any body have any suggestions or would like to share a similar tank?

ReefFrenzy

Shrimp Pimp
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did the same set up with a 40B. Lowes makes a steel shelf that was the perfect size and I set it up next to my 90 Display Tank. I drilled it for a corner overflow and used a MJ 1200 in the sump of my stand to pump water UP to the Fuge and then let gravity drain it back into another chamber of my sump. I just used CPVC to make a return "spray bar" with holes drilled in it to provide nice even flow across the fuge. It has worked out perfectly and I also used the fuge to house a dwarf lion, mantis shrimp and other cool critters that I didn't want in my 90 Reef.

I bought a nice brown pleated curtain to use as a skirt around the tank and install it with velcro to dress it up.

I say go for it!

Good luck,

Larry

Fugepic.jpg

RearFuge.jpg

spraybarfuge.jpg

6A7BAD57-DEA4-42A5-B38E-942289CB313F-1481-000000A5815E85C9_zps5db4ee5b.jpg

D7308240-4417-491C-AA84-69934CC25E1C-5158-000006D2EC37A4C2.jpg

OP
OP
goodtimes

goodtimes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my thinking I would think maintance would be less for this type of tank. Water changes should be minimal since the algae is using the nutrients. Am I on the right track with that thought?

ReefFrenzy

Shrimp Pimp
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience I still ran GFO and had to do a WC about once a month. I also am a heavy feeder and put more food in the tank than I probably should, so my nitrates would creep up some weeks and then fall back down. I like the added water volume and the ability to house critters in the Fuge and make it a centerpiece all its own. My Macro was growing like crazy under the LED lights, and I would discard about a third every 6 weeks.

IMHO, I would still perform water changes just to export nutrients and also replace trace elements and minerals.

Good luck and post pics if you do it so we can follow!

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once your sump was full of algae it would help your system to go wtihout maintenance. It would all depend on what size your DT is. If your using a 125g DT and a 20g sump, no, it won't let you go without doing maintenance, its not going to be able to grow a big enough colony of plants and algae to remove it all. Unless your running a very low nutrient tank to begin with, most don't.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 55 33.5%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 43 26.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 34 20.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 30 18.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.2%
Back