Distilled water?

clownaround4giggles

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS store’s RODI filter broke and i Need some to lower my salinity (1.033) is using a jug of bought distilled water ok? I use it to calibrate me refractometer and i Haven’t used it for anything else.

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS store’s RODI filter broke and i Need some to lower my salinity (1.033) is using a jug of bought distilled water ok? I use it to calibrate me refractometer and i Haven’t used it for anything else.
Yes, distilled water is alright to use. I’ve used it myself to make saltwater when my rodi filters didn’t show up on time.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as it is not copper distilled, yes. However, you should use refactometer calibration fluid for calibrating as it is not as accurate when using RODI/distilled water.

JustAnotherNanoTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Word of caution! Just because distilled water has 0 TDS does not mean it doesn’t have something in it that is bad. There is no guarantee that water is safe!

Rjukan

Day Dreamer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would stop what you're doing and get your water salinity tested by a LFS. If you've been using distilled to calibrate your refactometer, and that's how you're reading 1.033, you really need to go get your water tested again by someone else.

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gradually and use your refractometer.

To the other posts:
My Vital Sine refractometer instructions state use distilled water.

The distilled water is fine to use, at one point I used 10 gallons, water tested fine.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gradually and use your refractometer.

To the other posts:
My Vital Sine refractometer instructions state use distilled water.

The distilled water is fine to use, at one point I used 10 gallons, water tested fine.

Like tap water, distilled water is not all the same. It is very likely Ok to use, but one should not assume there are no metals at all in distilled water from the cooling coils. That's not ever a concern for a refractometer calibration, but can at least possibly be for a reef tank.

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like tap water, distilled water is not all the same. It is very likely Ok to use, but one should not assume there are no metals at all in distilled water from the cooling coils. That's not ever a concern for a refractometer calibration, but can at least possibly be for a reef tank.
Point noted. I haven’t had a problem using it in a pinch for the reef.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 110 43.0%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 122 47.7%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 24 9.4%

Back