Mixing saltwater help

ZeroCthulthu

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 19, 2023
Messages
32
Reaction score
21
Location
Philadelphia
What state or country do you live in
Pennsylvania
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, I have a question I hope y'all can help me with. I usually buy my water pre-mixed from my guy but his shop has been closed the past couple weekends. I have gone through all my water reserves and now have to look into mixing my own. This is the first time in over a year I have had this issue. I've done some basic searches but won't lie there is a lot of information some of it conflicting. Can I just use distilled water, aerate the hell out of it, and add a salt mix to it? Or is there anything else I need or should do. (I do have a salinity tester)
 
Yes you can use distilled water. Some folks I believe have reported algae issues but if you need something to use it should be fine.
 
I used distilled water for a few years, IMO its fine.
 
Distilled is hecka expensive now compared to what it was.

In the long run, your better off getting a small RO/DI unit which you can attach a garden hose or something, and filling that way, unless you have a pico system of less then 3 gallons.

But even then, thats roughly a 7 dollar water change, and on a small tank, you would need to keep up with it weekly on top.

Some folks I believe have reported algae issues but if you need something to use it should be fine.

im lost in why distilled < DI?

This is what your statement is implying... unless im lost in your comment?
Distilled is by far more pure then DI any given day of the week.
If your going to get algae from distilled, your going to get algae from DI on a greater scale.

But it also much more expensive long run to use in our hobby.
 
And in a pinch you can get away with using tap water for a 20% water change...
 
And in a pinch you can get away with using tap water for a 20% water change...

you need to dechlor it with prime or safe before you do, because salt mixes do not contain a dechlor.
And expect a algae bloom depending on water quality, as well as a lot of corals getting ticked off and possibly dying depending on floride concentration if they use it in your water or not.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 8 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 8 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 5 31.3%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new