Camaronero

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good afternoon,
-Before I start this discussion I’d like to start with the best definition I found, since I’m quite confused on which species can be labeled such.
“Dither fish are those fish that tell scared, skeptical, or otherwise easily spooked fish that it’s safe to come out.” -Aquarium Addict website

-BACKGROUND: So for my 25 gallon Waterbox Peninsula, I was planning on only owning 1 Yellow Banded Possum Wrasse (Wetmorella nigropinnata) and thanks to VERY helpful individuals (Is @Ting people considered annoying?) I realized I’m gonna need a “dither fish” for it’s long term well being IN ADDITION to adding a lot of soft corals, maintaining a steady pod population, and quarantining to be able to feed prepared foods. The aquarium is located in my room that’s ALWAYS quiet/calm.

-CONCERNS: Are dithering fish to be added before or after your shy fish? Are they only limited to schooling and or mid/upper water column fish or are we just talking about any single outgoing fish that can help? Can these fish be added temporarily and will removing them reverse the effects? Can dithering fish end up being shy (defeating the point of having one)?

-DEBATE/TOP CHOICES: Trying to keep my fish numbers to a minimum so let me know if these could work¿
#1 First and preferred choice is a pink-streak wrasse (Pseudocheilinops ataenia).... a good emotional support friend/lookout? Heard they’re somewhat outgoing and very peaceful¡

Now I’m straying away to even more debatable fish...

#2 Pygmy Coral Croucher (Caracanthus unipinna) that I think would work as a delayed indicator, more than an attentive lookout LOL.
#3 Helfrichi Firefish, (Nemateleotris helfrichi) who’s price isn’t a problem, but definitely more chill than having any of the basslets.
#4 All other fish choices would have to be temporary depending on your input.

-Open to ALL constructive criticism, input, and suggestions. I thought I had my fish situation settled, but WOW has this turned interestingly complex.

Hope everyone who reads/replies has a great rest of the day¡

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dither fish isn’t any one species, it’s really just any fish who’s activity tells another that the water is safe. Different fish will have different ideal dithers. A molly is a good dither for a convict cichlid, while a convict is a good dither (and eventual meal) for a dovii cichlid. You don’t usually see it in reef tanks - at least small tanks. Good examples would be chromis or schooling cardinalfish. In your tank a solo molly could work (would need to be acclimated to saltwater). It really doesn’t matter when they are added, just in any case it’s most important they cannot be eaten.
That said, In your tank the best thing to do is minimize aggression (no clownfish) and to provide lots of cover so the fish feel safe, then you will see them all the time.
Your stocking so far sounds good, for the 4th option I’d add a shrimpgoby + pistol shrimp - they are super entertaining and add some life to the sandbed.

Last edited:

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good afternoon,
-Before I start this discussion I’d like to start with the best definition I found, since I’m quite confused on which species can be labeled such.
“Dither fish are those fish that tell scared, skeptical, or otherwise easily spooked fish that it’s safe to come out.” -Aquarium Addict website

-BACKGROUND: So for my 25 gallon Waterbox Peninsula, I was planning on only owning 1 Yellow Banded Possum Wrasse (Wetmorella nigropinnata) and thanks to VERY helpful individuals (Is @Ting people considered annoying?) I realized I’m gonna need a “dither fish” for it’s long term well being IN ADDITION to adding a lot of soft corals, maintaining a steady pod population, and quarantining to be able to feed prepared foods. The aquarium is located in my room that’s ALWAYS quiet/calm.

-CONCERNS: Are dithering fish to be added before or after your shy fish? Are they only limited to schooling and or mid/upper water column fish or are we just talking about any single outgoing fish that can help? Can these fish be added temporarily and will removing them reverse the effects? Can dithering fish end up being shy (defeating the point of having one)?

-DEBATE/TOP CHOICES: Trying to keep my fish numbers to a minimum so let me know if these could work¿
#1 First and preferred choice is a pink-streak wrasse (Pseudocheilinops ataenia).... a good emotional support friend/lookout? Heard they’re somewhat outgoing and very peaceful¡

Now I’m straying away to even more debatable fish...

#2 Pygmy Coral Croucher (Caracanthus unipinna) that I think would work as a delayed indicator, more than an attentive lookout LOL.
#3 Helfrichi Firefish, (Nemateleotris helfrichi) who’s price isn’t a problem, but definitely more chill than having any of the basslets.
#4 All other fish choices would have to be temporary depending on your input.

-Open to ALL constructive criticism, input, and suggestions. I thought I had my fish situation settled, but WOW has this turned interestingly complex.

Hope everyone who reads/replies has a great rest of the day¡
I’d go for another goby, possibly something like a Trimma, Eviota or Coryphopterus would be great either fish and can be kept in small groups.

OP
OP
C

Camaronero

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dither fish isn’t any one species, it’s really just any fish who’s activity tells another that the water is safe. Different fish will have different ideal dithers. A molly is a good dither for a convict cichlid, while a convict is a good dither (and eventual meal) for a dovii cichlid. You don’t usually see it in reef tanks - at least small tanks. Good examples would be chromis or schooling cardinalfish. In your tank a solo molly could work (would need to be acclimated to saltwater). It really doesn’t matter when they are added, just in any case it’s most important they cannot be eaten.
That said, In your tank the best thing to do is minimize aggression (no clownfish) and to provide lots of cover so the fish feel safe, then you will see them all the time.
Your stocking so far sounds good, for the 4th option I’d add a shrimpgoby + pistol shrimp - they are super entertaining and add some life to the sandbed.
Thanks for the input¡ I was not expecting this reply; the molly sounds like it would be extremely effective but I’d rather not dip my feet into trying to transitioning it. I totally agree that clownfish are off limits. Now I mean no disrespect with this response but I’m looking to just pick 1 of the three options. I’d rather understock since I’m only looking to have 1-2 MAYBE 3 fish maximum.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back