Divided Aquarium - Saltwater/Freshwater

Ol' Sarge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Everybody!

First post here, but have been a long time lurker.

I have been contemplating putting together a reef tank for quite some time, but have been keeping African Cichlids for many years. When I was browsing Coast to Coast Aquariums on Facebook I noticed that they had an interesting 96”x30”x48” Euro-Braced CTC Custom Aquarium that had a divider down the middle for a split system.

Is this advisable? I'm interested in a reef on one side and an African Cichlid freshwater OR planted Discus on the other side.

Thoughts? Am I crazy to think this would work?

Thanks for the feedback.

118928037_3544028182282507_7887329307959144598_o.jpg

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!! No, you're not crazy and this is an interesting idea. Others have tried similar setups and, to the best of what I know, have achieved mixed results. Because the lighting, filtration, and parameters are different, this can create challenges including salt creep and algae. This could work and if you want a project to experiment with then give it a try, but realize that experiments don't always go as planned! :)

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say if you want them side by side, get two separate tanks and place side by side. I would worry too much about the temp, salt creep, flow needs, light needs, etc. Side by side gives a better barrier. Maybe have them side by side with a foot in between with some cool art or something. Just a thought.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 113 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back