PC Rainbow

126.JPG

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, your tank has really grown out a lot since the last time I saw it. Great work! It’s one thing to achieve “success” but a whole nuther thing to maintain it!

OP
OP
DivingTheWorld

DivingTheWorld

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bottom right, second photo? That's RRU "The Vinh". It keeps growing into the glass and I have to chop mini colony sized chunks off of it. That's why it's looking more square than round. I need space for my mag cleaner, lol.

It's hard to take pictures of because it's so big and so high in the tank. But I have one coming in a couple days. Stay tuned!

OP
OP
DivingTheWorld

DivingTheWorld

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what stupid thing did you do today?

Thursdays are my general maintenance days. Water changes, reactor changes, sump & pump cleanouts, etc. all generally happen on Thursdays. So Wednesdays I usually do any trimming, fragging, etc. because the next day I'll be sucking out leftover remnants.

Anyways, here I was doing a little trimming and fragging and I didn't even notice at first, but I snapped off my entire Bali Green Slimer colony at the base... :eek: Now we're not talking about an expensive coral, but a nice big beautiful coral that I grew from a little frag. A few choice words were said...luckily the kids were upstairs doing their remote learning and out of earshot.

I should have taken a picture. Frankly I was just trying to figure out what to do. I could sell the whole colony, but what would it be worth, $50? It's worth far more than that to me. So I set to work and used my tools to clear away the entire encrusted section as well as trim back the colonies around it. I then used a pick tool to drill down a little hole into my rock-work roughly the size of the trunk. Then I dried the base and globbed on a bunch of super glue and held it in place for a good 15 minutes until it was set enough to stay upright.

I think all things considered, I dodged a bullet. I "think" I saved my colony. Time will tell as it encrusts. I did get a picture (albeit a crappy one) of my results. I think it turned out pretty good. The moral of the story, BE CAREFUL WHEN YOU PUT YOUR HANDS IN THE TANK! ;Woot

DSC_3812.JPG

CCauthers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what stupid thing did you do today?

Thursdays are my general maintenance days. Water changes, reactor changes, sump & pump cleanouts, etc. all generally happen on Thursdays. So Wednesdays I usually do any trimming, fragging, etc. because the next day I'll be sucking out leftover remnants.

Anyways, here I was doing a little trimming and fragging and I didn't even notice at first, but I snapped off my entire Bali Green Slimer colony at the base... :eek: Now we're not talking about an expensive coral, but a nice big beautiful coral that I grew from a little frag. A few choice words were said...luckily the kids were upstairs doing their remote learning and out of earshot.

I should have taken a picture. Frankly I was just trying to figure out what to do. I could sell the whole colony, but what would it be worth, $50? It's worth far more than that to me. So I set to work and used my tools to clear away the entire encrusted section as well as trim back the colonies around it. I then used a pick tool to drill down a little hole into my rock-work roughly the size of the trunk. Then I dried the base and globbed on a bunch of super glue and held it in place for a good 15 minutes until it was set enough to stay upright.

I think all things considered, I dodged a bullet. I "think" I saved my colony. Time will tell as it encrusts. I did get a picture (albeit a crappy one) of my results. I think it turned out pretty good. The moral of the story, BE CAREFUL WHEN YOU PUT YOUR HANDS IN THE TANK! ;Woot

DSC_3812.JPG
OML I probably would have had a heart attack, good luck!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 33.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back