DIY 55 gallon Sump help

AndrewJ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would appreciate any help in pointing me in the right direction for building our own sump out of a 55 gallon tank. I already have access to 1/4" thick plate glass to make the baffles out of. Our focus will be on housing equipment in it, and probably not a refugium...it seems a bit too small too pull off both a refugium and a protein skimmer.
It will filter a 150 gallon 72 long predator tank, that in the future may or may not house soft easy to care for corals, depending on what we finally wind up with for fish inhabitants.
Anticipated equipment:
Sicce syncra silent 5.0
Tunze protein skimmer. I haven't made a final decision on which one yet. I will build the sump once the decision is made to make sure it fits.
Marine pure 1.5 balls. 2 quarts
marine pure 8x4x4 blocks. qty 2
a media reactor for GFO / Carbon
space for heaters, I haven't made a final decision on which brand heaters we will purchase yet. the current ones we have are pushing two years old, and I will replace them.
I did research the I internet, including you tube, but the more I do, the more I am confused about baffle placement and height for a 55 gallon sump.
thanks for any help!

Jonandjo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a pic of my sump which came with my Red Sea Reefer 250 it even includes a simple auto top off. Water flows into the right side as you look at it, it flows over the two socks these below the auto top off. Then into main chamber with my heater, skimmer and 2ltrs of siprax(spelt wrong probably). The. Over the baffle at the back and through a filter into the return chamber.

image.jpeg

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 26.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 32.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 30.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back