DIY 75 Gallon sump build quick question...

Justin....#JAMAS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey reefers! hope all are doing well today and just wanted to post up a pic of this 75 gallon tank i scored a good price on to make into a sump for a client of mine that is getting a 180 gallon tank which will and is going to be sweet bc i get to plumb it and do everything how i want it and where i want it, i just have a quick question......since water wont fill up this tank all the way being a sump, and it will have 3 or 4 maybe 5 baffles siliconed in the tank, would it be safe to go ahead and cut out that middle brace so the protein skimmer can fit and so everybody will have a easier time getting things in and out of the sump? also going to be wiping this tank out as well lol

1581751593830.jpeg

ConorBishop

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey reefers! hope all are doing well today and just wanted to post up a pic of this 75 gallon tank i scored a good price on to make into a sump for a client of mine that is getting a 180 gallon tank which will and is going to be sweet bc i get to plumb it and do everything how i want it and where i want it, i just have a quick question......since water wont fill up this tank all the way being a sump, and it will have 3 or 4 maybe 5 baffles siliconed in the tank, would it be safe to go ahead and cut out that middle brace so the protein skimmer can fit and so everybody will have a easier time getting things in and out of the sump? also going to be wiping this tank out as well lol

1581751593830.jpeg
We personally put the skimmer in the first section of the tank. With it being in the first section we found that it collected the excess waste better before reaching the refugium

OP
OP
Justin....#JAMAS

Justin....#JAMAS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i know where to put everything and how to build it bc i own my own company and do this for a living! thanks though for the input...i always use the first chamber for socks and skimmer, than refugium, than return and reactors and top off! i only wanted to know if i can saw off the middle brace or not? since it would be upheld with even more silicone and baffles i think it should be fine just wanted to get some input

DownSouthBandit

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please do not remove the middle brace. If you do you'll have to brace it again when you fill it. what I see most people do is cut it with about 2 inches of the brace facing in and then replace the brace with an acrylic piece that screws into the 2 Ince piece of the remaining brace.

George Lopez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't cut the brace because though the sump won't be full while running, during a power outage or service it will fill up most of the way.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 37 43.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 23.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 30.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back