Diy algae scrubber

Kfactor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all I made a algae scrubber for my tank it’s only around 40 g total i don’t really have problems with no3 and po4 as I’m doing to keep them up . The reason I want to add this to my tank I’m really stingy on feeding and I think my corals are starving and read a lot about the heavy in heavy out thing and want to start feeding more and what not my question is would this be a big mistake to do add a algae scrubber with low nutrients .

1ACFA3A9-E46D-4F46-B2DC-6B2306B4552B.jpeg

Ratherbeflyen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a huge fan of algae filtration. I run both a turf scrubber and a large refugium.

IMG_20190218_224226.jpg

IMG_20190719_092930.jpg

I don't think there is such a thing as an algae turf scrubber doing harm to your tank. The reason is because algae is adjustable. If your scrubber had no lights at all, then it would just be another piece of plumbing. If you run really intense lighting 24/7, the algae would probably die, but if it did grow a proverbial ton of algae it could possibly strip out some needed food for your corals. Somewhere in the middle of those two extremes is going to be the sweet spot that will absolutely be a benefit for your tank. Exactly where that sweet spot is will take some experimenting and time. Definitely worth it in my opinion and it's been working really well on my 220.

IMG_20200703_150805.jpg

OP
OP
Kfactor

Kfactor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your replys I guess I’m just a little worried but I guess it’s worth a try . I just want to start feeding more and stuff and just worried about driving nutrients to high

R.Weller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed with above. We use both macro algae & a DIY ATS for our build. I love the idea of plants filtering the water & simply discarding excess growth a few times a month. It will take a little time to break in, especially if you already have very low nutrients. If you suspect your livestock are suffering now (e.g. skinny fish or you want to add reef roids), I would get it running & go ahead & increase feeding. There's nothing worse than watching something starve. Give it a month or two & keep an eye on the corals. Daily obersvation & taking photos is a great way to measure a response to changes in nutrition.

20 gallon nano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made algae scrubber for my 20 gallon innovative marine reef tank with all the plumbing internal.

BFA3C294-1D8A-46E5-B440-9F4E5829C96C.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3772.MOV
    22.3 MB

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on the size and light schedule of your ATS it is very easy to strip all the nutrients from your system. Mine is three sheets wide in my overflow. When I first set it up I ran it 24/7and quickly stripped my previously very high nitrate (50) and phosphate to zero. Now I just adjust my light schedule to give me the levels I want.

OP
OP
Kfactor

Kfactor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only run my scrubber for 6 hours at night and seems to be doing a really good job . I had to run my skimmer on a schedule I only run it 3 times a week for 6 hours at a time I have bottomed out my nutrients and trying to get them back up . The only thing I want to do next is get the flow meter kit for my apex jr too see what flow I’m getting on my scrubber and my uv

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't waste your money on the flow meter. They aren't reliable. Just measure the flow out of your UV into a 5 gallon bucket. If it takes 1 minute to fill it your flowing 5 gallons a minute or 300 GPH. Simple. The flow to your ATS really dose not matter if your sheet is completely wet all the time and you getting the growth to keep you nutrients under control. You can also measure the flow into a plastic bag in your sump or tank.
it sounds Like you may need to reduce your light schedule more on your ATS.

OP
OP
Kfactor

Kfactor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Instead of starting a new I thought I would ask here I got lots of algae growing now on my diy scrubber and really happy with it but my question is my algae on it isn’t that nice green algae it’s more of a slimy algae is that ok ? I will take a pic tomorrow to show it when the scrubber light is off

Jeff Jarry reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Instead of starting a new I thought I would ask here I got lots of algae growing now on my diy scrubber and really happy with it but my question is my algae on it isn’t that nice green algae it’s more of a slimy algae is that ok ? I will take a pic tomorrow to show it when the scrubber light is off
Yes that's ok as long as it's growing in your ATS and not tank.

OREGONIC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran a DIY ATS for several years on my last tank. They work great and you can adjust their export to an extent by photo period. Mine had nothing but slimy algae for the first few months. I actually ended up seeding the screen a little with some hair algae and dosed a little PO4 and NO3 to finally get it going. Was pretty much auto pilot once it took off.

A06332AA-BA95-4C99-B9BA-73695ED44076.jpeg

Jeff Jarry reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran a DIY ATS for several years on my last tank. They work great and you can adjust their export to an extent by photo period. Mine had nothing but slimy algae for the first few months. I actually ended up seeding the screen a little with some hair algae and dosed a little PO4 and NO3 to finally get it going. Was pretty much auto pilot once it took off.

A06332AA-BA95-4C99-B9BA-73695ED44076.jpeg
Yes sir that's nice I really like useing a ATS.

Ratherbeflyen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The type, color, size, of algae is irrelevant. All that matters is the water quality and tank results. If the scrubber is doing what you need it to do, then don't change anything.

Jeff Jarry reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The type, color, size, of algae is irrelevant. All that matters is the water quality and tank results. If the scrubber is doing what you need it to do, then don't change anything.
Agree don't change anything if it's working sometimes you different kinds of algea in scrubbers. As long as it's working I would leave it be.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 66 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 36 21.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 34.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.6%
Back