DIY alk mix crystalizing in dosing container

Bipolarbear

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have been using the Jim Welsh's version of a DIY two part:

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/s...hould-i-expect-to-change.215171/#post-2466696

But one of the problems I noticed is that after 4-5 days my alk mix starts to crystalize in the bucket and eventually in the RO hoses I'm using to pull the fluid out of the dosing container. It gets so thick that it completely clogs the hose and my dosing falls to 0 at that point (Also a total pain to pull them apart and clean them out).

I tried reducing the amount of Soda Ash (cooked baking soda) from 590g per gallon to 500g but it still crystalized. @Randy Holmes-Farley Is there anything else I can try to eliminate this crystallization?

I'm also wondering if it may have something to do with the volume I'm mixing up. I create 4 gallons of alk and cal and store them in 5 gallon buckets and use it up in about a month in my 300 gallon system.

OP
OP
Bipolarbear

Bipolarbear

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless the bags don't have what's contained in them I'm 100% sure.

I have been using the large bags of Arm and Hammer baking soda from Costco and baking it for an hour at 300 degrees and then mix it with Duda Energy Sodium Sulfate. I have to heat the water to get the soda ash to fully mix into solution.

OP
OP
Bipolarbear

Bipolarbear

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although now that you mention the difference between the sodium carbonate and sodium bicarb I wonder if my baking procedure may not be working well enough.

I typically do 1/4 a bag in a glass Pyrex casserole dish which tends to make it pretty thick. Don't know if that would prevent some of the bicarb from baking out.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless the bags don't have what's contained in them I'm 100% sure.

I have been using the large bags of Arm and Hammer baking soda from Costco and baking it for an hour at 300 degrees and then mix it with Duda Energy Sodium Sulfate. I have to heat the water to get the soda ash to fully mix into solution.

It may not have fully baked.

For now, you can dilute it more, and in the future, I've gone to recommending higher heat because, like a turkey, it can stay cooler inside for a long time. It cannot be overbaked at home.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 28 22.6%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 89 71.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.0%
Back