DIY Alkalinity Monitor

BassamKassem

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I managed to recieve Time update from ESP by replacing TX , RX pins to 16, 17 instead of 3, 1

Serial2.begin(9600, SERIAL_8N1, 16, 17); of course i used jumper wires to use these pins instead of the default ones 3, 1

It updated the time once , but not doing it again donno why . I need to know the logic behind it first to make it update time every time device starts

@Borat

OP
OP
Borat

Borat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I managed to recieve Time update from ESP by replacing TX , RX pins to 16, 17 instead of 3, 1

Serial2.begin(9600, SERIAL_8N1, 16, 17); of course i used jumper wires to use these pins instead of the default ones 3, 1

It updated the time once , but not doing it again donno why . I need to know the logic behind it first to make it update time every time device starts

@Borat
I looked into your issue in the meantime:
- it seems like the issue is caused by counterfeit chips that are not well-made
- some of my RTC chips exhibit exactly the same behaviour (starting time where they were left of) - whilst some keep the time to a high precision (I Have about 6 RTC chips working in different devices), all made at different times over the last 3 years or so..

Thinking retrospectively - I think this was the main reason why I wanted the Mega 2560 chip to have the ability to sync the time. Nowadays I don't care about time keeping any more - the clock is synchronised multiple times of the day and I know it's always correct.

So that's a good thing that you made RX/TX pins to work for you!

Cheers,

B.

BassamKassem

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked into your issue in the meantime:
- it seems like the issue is caused by counterfeit chips that are not well-made
- some of my RTC chips exhibit exactly the same behaviour (starting time where they were left of) - whilst some keep the time to a high precision (I Have about 6 RTC chips working in different devices), all made at different times over the last 3 years or so..

Thinking retrospectively - I think this was the main reason why I wanted the Mega 2560 chip to have the ability to sync the time. Nowadays I don't care about time keeping any more - the clock is synchronised multiple times of the day and I know it's always correct.

So that's a good thing that you made RX/TX pins to work for you!

Cheers,

B.
Thank you my fiend , you are always there for us ..

I managed to send the time update request each time device started and compensates RTC deviation correctly however this was not wise since the transmitted data are too much in which it cause the mega to freeze . so I updated the time interval update variable in ESP sketch to update time every 4 hours instead of 12 hrs. . will test it for one or two days to make sure if it will not cause issues ..

Thanks again @Borat

Bazzo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Borat , @BassamKassem
Hello my friends,
Have you ever thought about putting a sdcard to record the results, to generate graphs?
Or are you thinking about doing it another way?

greetings

cliffE

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
please comment the line below at the end of the loop function ESP.restart(); i left it un commented and forgot to comment it back

if(result!="") {
Serial.println(result);
// ESP.restart();
}
Screen Shot 2023-09-09 at 9.56.40 AM.png

It looks like it is there? No?
Still trying to get it to connect to wifi

BassamKassem

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Borat , @BassamKassem
Hello my friends,
Have you ever thought about putting a sdcard to record the results, to generate graphs?
Or are you thinking about doing it another way?

greetings
in earlier post I explained something similar but it is unfinished project , may you can help finalizing it . i make a mobile app with all what you can think of , but unfortunately don't have time to finish it

see this post and look back at page 16 i think

BassamKassem

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dear all

for those whom are not in favor of having data hard coded like my self ,, am attaching the ESP version in which you will connect to the device as an access point mode then type the we portal page if not opened by itself 192.168.4.1 then you can add your Wifi credentials and the email address that will receive all notifications through the setup page then click save it will restart then connect automatically

I added both Mega and ESP codes for reference

the changes I have in my Mega code

- Prime any of the 4 pumps
- You can set date / time
- You can change the KH settings from dedicated submenu
- Some UI changes

Attachments

• ESP Final - 9 Sept 2023.txt
    10.9 KB · Views: 49
  • Mega Final - 9 Sept 2023 .txt
    51.7 KB · Views: 40
  • image-2 (1).png
    image-2 (1).png
    14.2 KB · Views: 40
  • image-2.png
    image-2.png
    8.1 KB · Views: 43

Bazzo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@BassamKassem and @Borat
daab9d0e6c8e907c8e399a9fbd5ab4b9.png

Hello friends, can you help me?
I ended up buying DFrobot (due to lack of options in Brazil).
I put it on and the menu isn't working when I turn the potentiometer.

If you can help me, I will be eternally grateful.

OP
OP
Borat

Borat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is
@BassamKassem and @Borat
daab9d0e6c8e907c8e399a9fbd5ab4b9.png

Hello friends, can you help me?
I ended up buying DFrobot (due to lack of options in Brazil).
I put it on and the menu isn't working when I turn the potentiometer.

If you can help me, I will be eternally grateful.
What is this component meant to do? Can you give us a full name of this component?

Bazzo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is

What is this component meant to do? Can you give us a full name of this component?
it is this component (https://www.dfrobot.com/product-2575.html).
I would like to control the menu with him.
I think it would replace the adafruit rotary encoder (you can't find it in Brazil, and the ones you can find are the generic 5-pin ones).

BassamKassem

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello everyone

did any of you used DFRobot Gravity PH Board V2.0 , am using it now and it is working normally but am not sure if the voltages values for PH 7 and 4 are correct or not because when running tests it reads PH correctly but when device is idle the LCD displays PH values higher than normal values sometimes 8.6 , 8.7 but once test started it reads the correct PH value

these are the values am using

float voltage_4PH = 0.66;
float voltage_7PH = 2.05;

The board connected to Adwa-Refillable-Glass-Electrode-AD1131B

SEN0161-V2.jpg

OP
OP
Borat

Borat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello everyone

did any of you used DFRobot Gravity PH Board V2.0 , am using it now and it is working normally but am not sure if the voltages values for PH 7 and 4 are correct or not because when running tests it reads PH correctly but when device is idle the LCD displays PH values higher than normal values sometimes 8.6 , 8.7 but once test started it reads the correct PH value

these are the values am using

float voltage_4PH = 0.66;
float voltage_7PH = 2.05;

The board connected to Adwa-Refillable-Glass-Electrode-AD1131B

SEN0161-V2.jpg
Hi, this is most likely because you are using the earlier code version that uses strcpy(),strcat() and c_addInt() those c-style functions sometimes erroneously convert ph of 8.07 into "8.7".

Just replace all of those char* messages with String instead and it should display correct values. Make sure you declare String variable outside of loop() - so it gets reused and does not fragment memory. My latest version of code has those changes.

Regards,

B.

BassamKassem

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, this is most likely because you are using the earlier code version that uses strcpy(),strcat() and c_addInt() those c-style functions sometimes erroneously convert ph of 8.07 into "8.7".

Just replace all of those char* messages with String instead and it should display correct values. Make sure you declare String variable outside of loop() - so it gets reused and does not fragment memory. My latest version of code has those changes.

Regards,

B.
Thanks my friend , you 100% correct . i will do the same . thanks again :)

Last edited:

iLMaRiO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After replacing the pH probe and board to the Atlas scientific Ezo, i'm able to read very very stable measures. BUT constantly lower or higher than any manual test kit, in example, i'm at 1.2 dkh less the tropic Marin pro.

any idea what is causing this?

OP
OP
Borat

Borat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After replacing the pH probe and board to the Atlas scientific Ezo, i'm able to read very very stable measures. BUT constantly lower or higher than any manual test kit, in example, i'm at 1.2 dkh less the tropic Marin pro.

any idea what is causing this?
This is nice! How much did it cost you to source the Ezo board? Did you have to buy and solder a BNC connector or did the board come with the connector?

In terms of being consistently off - what kind of acid are you using (where did you buy/what concentration is it)?

iLMaRiO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
about 100 euros, isolator board plus Ezo board. im still using my probe. i've purchased a bnc to sma adapter as the isolator board has a SMA connector on It. no soldering

im using the original reef factory reagent, diluted 1:9 (900ml water, 100ml reagent)

OP
OP
Borat

Borat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
about 100 euros, isolator board plus Ezo board. im still using my probe. i've purchased a bnc to sma adapter as the isolator board has a SMA connector on It. no soldering

im using the original reef factory reagent, diluted 1:9 (900ml water, 100ml reagent)
Interesting.. maybe could you post one of your recent test figures:
- sample water volume
- added 0.1N acid volume
- end PH (is it 4.5?)

If you have it - full step-by-step sequence similar to :
Step: ACID: PH
0: 0.00 : 8.10
1 : 4.00 : 6.66
2 : 6.00 : 6.08
3 : 8.00 : 5.73
4 : 9.00 : 5.53
5 : 10.00 : 5.33
6 : 11.00 : 5.06
7 : 12.00 : 4.64
8 : 12.07 : 4.56
9 : 12.14 : 4.52
10 : 12.21 : 4.47
11 : 12.29 : 4.43
12 : 12.36 : 4.35

DKH: 8.62 (using 0.025N)

iLMaRiO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i'm using 75ml as sample (100ml doesn't increase accuracy a lot, something like 0.05, but takes 15 minutes more to fill). but the acid is (i think) 0.02 when diluted

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 124 81.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.9%
Back