DIY Ammonia dosing for low nitrate systems

interesting, my tank nitrate level is not low, but not high either (below like 3-5ppm), but i need to feed a lot to maintain that level of nitrate. So i assume that it’s fine to dose ammonia and reduce feeding. My pH level is from 8.0 (low at night) - 8.3 (peak at day). My question is: Will dosing with amonium bicarbonate (recipe 2) increase my pH level and keep it stable?

Yes, that’s a fine plan. :)
 
It’s not… I’ve been playing this ammonia the last 2 weeks.. the further I drive my dose up the more my phosphates drop! I’m having to dose phosphate now to keep it detectable on top of my nitrates dropping from a steady 7-10 to 3 with 60ml daily of ammonia bicarbonate lol..

Interesting. :)
 
Interesting! I checked phosphate this morning and it was 0.08. Perfect! It has been running around 0.06 but got a new fish and I have been feeding heavy. I was was glad to see it come up a little. Nitrate was around 8 ppm, slightly higher than usual, again heavy feeding the last few days.

I dosed a little ammonium today and fed the fish as usual. I checked tonight and phosphate was 0.05, that’s my lower limit….so guess what? Corals get fed some Benepets and reef roids tonight and they’ll love it.

I have not been struggling with zero nitrate recently so I’m not using the ammonium to boost nitrate at the moment. I am just doing a little as an experiment. All other things being equal, it does seem to push the phosphate down.
It without a doubt drops phosphate! The only thing I can wrap my head around is the accelerated coral growth is consuming both the phosphate and nitrates at a faster rate as they grow. Obviously no scientifical data to back this just observation and experience but I talked to a couple of the big dogs in the sps farming business and this has been their experience also with phosphates.
 
It without a doubt drops phosphate! The only thing I can wrap my head around is the accelerated coral growth is consuming both the phosphate and nitrates at a faster rate as they grow. Obviously no scientifical data to back this just observation and experience but I talked to a couple of the big dogs in the sps farming business and this has been their experience also with phosphates.

Thanks for the info!
 
It without a doubt drops phosphate! The only thing I can wrap my head around is the accelerated coral growth is consuming both the phosphate and nitrates at a faster rate as they grow. Obviously no scientifical data to back this just observation and experience but I talked to a couple of the big dogs in the sps farming business and this has been their experience also with phosphates.
I thought it might be bacteria using the ammonia and consuming phosphate, but either way I think the availability of ammonia is having an interesting effect.
 
I thought it might be bacteria using the ammonia and consuming phosphate, but either way I think the availability of ammonia is having an interesting effect.
Could be???? Idk haha! All I know is ammonia makes the tank phosphate limited.. kinda crazy..
 
Could be???? Idk haha! All I know is ammonia makes the tank phosphate limited.. kinda crazy..
It would be good if others share their observations on this. If consistently observed, it could be pretty useful. It’s certainly something people should watch out for. Unknowingly driving phosphate to zero is bad news. Given we are on page 53 and think we are the first ones to notice makes me wonder how common it is.
 
I thought it might be bacteria using the ammonia and consuming phosphate, but either way I think the availability of ammonia is having an interesting effect.

Impact on alk demand might help clarify what is using it.
 
It would be good if others share their observations on this. If consistently observed, it could be pretty useful. It’s certainly something people should watch out for. Unknowingly driving phosphate to zero is bad news. Given we are on page 53 and think we are the first ones to notice makes me wonder how common it is.
After 2 weeks.
IMG_5430.jpeg
 
Impact on alk demand might help clarify what is using it.
My alk dropped 1dkh over the 2 weeks then I had a kalk over dose that precipitated it and it dropped to 4.8 I’ve gotten it back up to 9 currently so I can’t help much there.. I will see what happens over the next 2 weeks and go from there
 
Just for fun…

Here is my phosphate data since starting daily ammonium bicarbonate dosing. All the peaks are in the morning, all the troughs are in the evening. I did not always measure 2x per day. Ammonia dosing happens after the morning test.

There could be numerous explanations for the pattern but what is interesting about this pattern is it’s exactly opposite what it was before dosing ammonia. In the past, the morning reading was the trough and the evening reading was the peak. The only change is addition of a small amount of daily ammonia plus heavier feeding due to a new fish addition.

Any one or all of these readings have potential error but the pattern is pretty interesting. I think an explanation could be the ammonia addition results in consumption of phosphate, but it’s a small dose so not having a huge impact.

Nitrate has been 5-10 ppm during this period.

IMG_3716.jpeg
 
Last edited:
I'm having to dose phosphates as well. Doing around 6ml a day and I have PO4 at 0.05 with NO3 at 22. My total system is around 130g. Since my NO3 finally climbed, I backed off the AmBicarb to 12ml a day for now.
 
Just for fun…

Here is my phosphate data since starting daily ammonium bicarbonate dosing. All the peaks are in the morning, all the troughs are in the evening. I did not always measure 2x per day. Ammonia dosing happens after the morning test.

There could be numerous explanations for the pattern but what is interesting about this pattern is it’s exactly opposite what it was before dosing ammonia. In the past, the morning reading was the trough and the evening reading was the peak. The only change is addition of a small amount of daily ammonia plus heavier feeding due to a new fish addition.

Any one or all of these readings have potential error but the pattern is pretty interesting. I think an explanation could be the ammonia addition results in consumption of phosphate, but it’s a small dose so not having a huge impact.

Nitrate has been 5-10 ppm during this period.

IMG_3716.jpeg
From my experience thus far and talking to a couple people who have been using ammonia for awhile now it’s almost a 1:1 ratio with dosing phosphate and ammonia or really close to that. I’m about half now and still have p04 on the low end of .02.. once I get more phosphate in the mail” I ordered some food grade off of one of Randy’s recipes” I will up my dose to 1:1 and see where my phosphates end up.
 
I think today I’ll skip the ammonia dose and check phosphate tonight to see if it went down or up. If it goes down, that would not support my theory.
 
I'm glad I have been following along. Put 2ppm ammonia carbonate to start the cycle on my aquarium. Planning to dose ammonia from the start and seeing your trial and errors helps a lot.
 
I can't answer if it makes my phosphates drop or not, I have to add them daily. I bottom out to 0ppm everyday. I'm dosing 0.2ppm ammonium bicarbonate and 0.1ppm trisodium phosphate daily. When I test I'm 3-5ppm nitrates and 0-0.003ppm phosphate. Did add 0.2ppm trisodium phosphate for about a week, and it made no difference, I would still drop to 0ppm. My tank is newer, so the rocks and sand are still binding PO4.
 
I'm glad I have been following along. Put 2ppm ammonia carbonate to start the cycle on my aquarium. Planning to dose ammonia from the start and seeing your trial and errors helps a lot.
errors!?!? How dare you :)
 
I don’t notice any impact on pH.

Ammonium Bicarbonate
Ammonium bicarbonate, also known as baking ammonia, NH4 HCO3 is essentially ammonia (NH3) plus CO2 and water.

As mentioned above, dosing NH3 followed by consumption by organisms to form tissue in a net alkalinity neutral process. The CO2 and water also do not impact alkalinity. Thus, ammonium bicarbonate is a net alk neutral way to dose ammonia.
I see, just did some research on Google, ammonium bicarbonate has higher ph (7-8.5) than Ammonium Chloride (4.5-6) so it is not enough to raise ph. But ammonium bicarbonate realease co2, which can reduce ph level. I struggle to keep ph from 8-8.3, but seem that recipe 2 also not reduce ph?
 
I see, just did some research on Google, ammonium bicarbonate has higher ph (7-8.5) than Ammonium Chloride (4.5-6) so it is not enough to raise ph. But ammonium bicarbonate realease co2, which can reduce ph level. I struggle to keep ph from 8-8.3, but seem that recipe 2 also not reduce ph?
I’ll let @Randy Holmes-Farley comment, but my doses of ammonium bicarbonate have not registered any change on my pH probe and it doesn’t impact alkalinity. I suspect at the CO2 is insignificant at the levels we are adding to the tank.
 

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 7 25.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 14 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 10 35.7%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 14 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 8 28.6%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new