DIY ATO reservoir

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently setup up an ATO with a makeshift reservoir and was looking to buy a nice plexiglass container.
I flipped when I saw the prices, one was listed at $150 for a 5 gallon with a lid.
So I started hunting for options and nothing really stood out.
I realized that I have a number of 5 gallon tanks that once held tarantulas and decided to drill one. I was to anxious with the first attempt and I cracked it, but successfully drilled the second. I had spare John Guest fittings and for the grand total of zero dollars, I have a new 5 gallon reservoir!!!

Love DIY projects
20210603_134606.jpg

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking of doing the same thing. Did you do anything to prep the glass? I heard putting masking tape on the glass where you're going to cut helps make a cleaner cut. Also what did you use to cut it? One of those hole drill bits?

OP
OP
G Santana

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking of doing the same thing. Did you do anything to prep the glass? I heard putting masking tape on the glass where you're going to cut helps make a cleaner cut. Also what did you use to cut it? One of those hole drill bits?
No, no prep. Just go slow, real slow. It took me about 10-15 minutes. I would drill and pour a few drops of water and repeat. I would clean off the area and then continue.
Yes I used a tile hole saw.
Now it was a smaller diameter than I needed. Once I was through, I placed the bit in the hole and carefully worked it around the hole to enlarge it, this is easier than drilling the hole, it took a minute or so to make it large enough to fit the fitting.
Good luck with your project!
ZomboMeme 17052021180100.jpg

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, no prep. Just go slow, real slow. It took me about 10-15 minutes. I would drill and pour a few drops of water and repeat. I would clean off the area and then continue.
Yes I used a tile hole saw.
Now it was a smaller diameter than I needed. Once I was through, I placed the bit in the hole and carefully worked it around the hole to enlarge it, this is easier than drilling the hole, it took a minute or so to make it large enough to fit the fitting.
Good luck with your project!
ZomboMeme 17052021180100.jpg
Thank you! Those are the exact bits I'm looking at. :)

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently setup up an ATO with a makeshift reservoir and was looking to buy a nice plexiglass container.
I flipped when I saw the prices, one was listed at $150 for a 5 gallon with a lid.
So I started hunting for options and nothing really stood out.
I realized that I have a number of 5 gallon tanks that once held tarantulas and decided to drill one. I was to anxious with the first attempt and I cracked it, but successfully drilled the second. I had spare John Guest fittings and for the grand total of zero dollars, I have a new 5 gallon reservoir!!!

Love DIY projects
20210603_134606.jpg
RESULT ^_^

NabberNate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ditto on your observations. This link has the size I need (10 gallons about 8x20x20 give or take) but I'm a bit pained at the $225 price point.

Wondering if this is about the best price I'll find?

OP
OP
G Santana

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ditto on your observations. This link has the size I need (10 gallons about 8x20x20 give or take) but I'm a bit pained at the $225 price point.

Wondering if this is about the best price I'll find?
Just can't/couldn't see myself spending that kind of money on a water jug lol

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well acrylic is expensive and then you are paying the reefing tax, designer tax, premium, local fabrication, etc.

You don't need any of that, a standard glass box/vase/plastic jug will do, but this is a luxury designer product just like a handbag for hundreds or thousands or an expensive lampshade, for people that want everything to look and feel high quality, so that nothing stand out as cheap and hacked together in an otherwise beautiful home, and that's what you are paying for if you buy things like that

NabberNate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm mostly just looking for something that will fit in a 9" wide space under my sump and be at least 10 gallons. This fits the bill and I couldn't find much elsewhere. I would be fine with something simpler but I'm not experienced in working with plastics and my first time projects usually end up costing as much as the designer item once it's all done! Unless you all have ideas on where to get narrow tall and deep water jugs I'm likely to bite the bullet.

Also any recommended kits for the pump, sensor, brackets to pump into a standard aqueon aquarium?

Back