DIY attachment to acrylic cutouts

C1-10P

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Afternoon!

I am coming back into the saltwater game after about 10 years and decided if i was going to do it, i was going to build the tank i always wanted. I am in the process of building a 120G reef build for the living room. I bought a pre-owned 6' acrylic (clear 4 life brand) aquarium. One of the things i am struggling with is how to mount a feeding ring/automatic feeder to the rather wide bracing on this tank. At the most narrow point on the front the euro brace is 3" wide. the picture below is not my tank but a similar idea out how the acrylic is cut. I saw a post here about mounting it to the canopy but mine is not very tall and would be a pain to refill. I am hoping to keep an auto feeder on to ensure there is at least some food for the days that life might happen and we forget.

some things that have come to mind was modifying a 2littlefishies mag feeding ring to have a longer arm but cant find one in person to see if that would be possible.

I am considering cutting out the openings a little larger. been reading about the required radius and center brace width and think i could make them a good bit larger and keep them safe. as for the feeder i as thinking about was taking a piece of the acrylic that I cut off and bonding it to the brace vertically to mount the feeder. anyone think that might work or is the feeder to heavy or something?

Thanks for any ideas!

1653339533787.png

OP
OP
C

C1-10P

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I’ll check out the Neptune.

another thought I had, which after reading a few posts I can’t get a clear answer, what about feeding into return chamber of the sump? I have a rimless acrylic sump

Duncan62

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

another thought I had, which after reading a few posts I can’t get a clear answer, what about feeding into return chamber of the sump? I have a rimless acrylic sump
There are certain things I always feed in the sump. Best idea yet. I like the way the return disperses the food over more time. Good luck with it. I'm sure it will work out!

Rookums Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Afternoon!

I am coming back into the saltwater game after about 10 years and decided if i was going to do it, i was going to build the tank i always wanted. I am in the process of building a 120G reef build for the living room. I bought a pre-owned 6' acrylic (clear 4 life brand) aquarium. One of the things i am struggling with is how to mount a feeding ring/automatic feeder to the rather wide bracing on this tank. At the most narrow point on the front the euro brace is 3" wide. the picture below is not my tank but a similar idea out how the acrylic is cut. I saw a post here about mounting it to the canopy but mine is not very tall and would be a pain to refill. I am hoping to keep an auto feeder on to ensure there is at least some food for the days that life might happen and we forget.

some things that have come to mind was modifying a 2littlefishies mag feeding ring to have a longer arm but cant find one in person to see if that would be possible.

I am considering cutting out the openings a little larger. been reading about the required radius and center brace width and think i could make them a good bit larger and keep them safe. as for the feeder i as thinking about was taking a piece of the acrylic that I cut off and bonding it to the brace vertically to mount the feeder. anyone think that might work or is the feeder to heavy or something?

Thanks for any ideas!

1653339533787.png
I just bought a 90g version and some drilled a hole in the bottom and had a stand pipe with a drain cover on it then some crazy drain to the sump. I'm trying to figure out how to rectify this!

Attachments

• 20220529_185626.jpg
    20220529_185626.jpg
    235.5 KB · Views: 20
  • received_1103991680462521.jpeg
    received_1103991680462521.jpeg
    104.7 KB · Views: 17

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The Neptune one is not great and I only use mine because it's the only one compatible with my apex controller. If you don't have an apex controller it won't work.

This is another idea for a feeder mount that came with my 60 cube that I bought. The guy bought some laser cut acrylic and glued it together with weld-on #4

Attachments

• 20220504_193753.jpg
    20220504_193753.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 18

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back