Acrylic Sizing

CarolinaReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I am debating on building a tank out of acrylic and I’m wondering if i use 1/4” thick acrylic, what would be the max size tank I could build that would be safe? I could go bigger, i was looking at 1/2”, but it’s pretty pricey at that thickness. Also do you have any recommendations on decently priced places that sell acrylic sheets?

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I am debating on building a tank out of acrylic and I’m wondering if i use 1/4” thick acrylic, what would be the max size tank I could build that would be safe? I could go bigger, i was looking at 1/2”, but it’s pretty pricey at that thickness. Also do you have any recommendations on decently priced places that sell acrylic sheets?
The height of your aquarium is what matters the most when it comes to acrylic thickness. It is not the only criteria but it is the number one. What size are you looking for?

OP
OP
C

CarolinaReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The height of your aquarium is what matters the most when it comes to acrylic thickness. It is not the only criteria but it is the number one. What size are you looking for?
I wanted to go 30” high but I don’t have to. Really I’d like to go as long as I can, preferably over 60” if possible. My original plan was to do a tank that was 72”L x 30”H x 24”W but I know I would have to use thicker acrylic and it just got too pricey. So I figured I would see what’s possibly with thinner acrylic and go from there. Then maybe one day when I have a bigger budget I could make a larger one.

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to go 30” high but I don’t have to. Really I’d like to go as long as I can, preferably over 60” if possible. My original plan was to do a tank that was 72”L x 30”H x 24”W but I know I would have to use thicker acrylic and it just got too pricey. So I figured I would see what’s possibly with thinner acrylic and go from there. Then maybe one day when I have a bigger budget I could make a larger one.
As a point of reference if you decide to give it a try, we sell pre-cut kits to qualified fabricators (Sorry, not to the general hobby crowd). This is a popular size, 225 and we sell it for around $800 for 1/2 inch (which is fine says the thousands we already have built) or $1,200 for 3/4 inch.

OP
OP
C

CarolinaReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a point of reference if you decide to give it a try, we sell pre-cut kits to qualified fabricators (Sorry, not to the general hobby crowd). This is a popular size, 225 and we sell it for around $800 for 1/2 inch (which is fine says the thousands we already have built) or $1,200 for 3/4 inch.
That’s good number to reference. Thank you for that.

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to brace it. I don’t feel safe without, especially at that size. If it was like a 40 or 50g i probably wouldn’t. But I’d like to go over 100-200g.
"Bracing" it won't work. You need to attach a full top. This is why I am trying to gently discourage you from doing this.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Given that you are asking for thickness requirements, I am going to assume that you have not worked with acrylic. While it is not "hard", it is tricky and takes practice and there is little room for mistakes, in both fabrication (edge finishing) and assembly (clamping and welding).

You are looking at 1 or more full sheets of 1/2" (or thicker) cell cast acrylic for any modest sized tank. I think given the price, the skill requirement and the ramifications of failure, you would be better off saving your money and buying.

OP
OP
C

CarolinaReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Given that you are asking for thickness requirements, I am going to assume that you have not worked with acrylic. While it is not "hard", it is tricky and takes practice and there is little room for mistakes, in both fabrication (edge finishing) and assembly (clamping and welding).

You are looking at 1 or more full sheets of 1/2" (or thicker) cell cast acrylic for any modest sized tank. I think given the price, the skill requirement and the ramifications of failure, you would be better off saving your money and buying.
You are correct, I have not. I do understand the complications of doing so, and I am trying to do as much research before I jump into anything. I understand there is possibility of failure and wasting money, but I also know that going into this project. I have not fully decided if I will or not, but if I do end up going forward with it and it turns out successful, then it will open up the possibility of me making other tanks for myself instead of buying them. Plus I enjoy DIY projects.

Roadkillstewie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are correct, I have not. I do understand the complications of doing so, and I am trying to do as much research before I jump into anything. I understand there is possibility of failure and wasting money, but I also know that going into this project. I have not fully decided if I will or not, but if I do end up going forward with it and it turns out successful, then it will open up the possibility of me making other tanks for myself instead of buying them. Plus I enjoy DIY projects.
I would then recommend, 'start' by trying to make small boxes, display boxes and the like first. When you can get pretty, water tight, bubble free seams consistently on like 1/4", try a little thicker/larger.

I built a... 18"x18"x11.75" rimless cube out 1/4" years ago and I recall it deflecting more than I'd hoped.

Last edited:

ss88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Ref: Budynas - Roark's formulas for stress and strain 7th.pdf

Likely use 1e for the wall panels.

Build at your own risk!

Good quality acrylic bonds meeting PVHO are far more complex than solvent welds with methylene chloride. but thats another story. Solvent will likely work for what you intend on doing. Might last a decade or more without issue.

Happy reefing.

Screenshot 2024-01-14 at 3.25.34 PM.png

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not usually one to discourage DIY. If you asked me about building a 50 gallon sump that was going to hold 30 gallons of water at an average of 16" deep in a 22" tall overall height, I would say go for it.

A 24" deep display tank is another ball of wax. I have built quite a few tanks and worked with a lot of acrylic over the years. I would not dream of building an acrylic display tank in the dimensions you are talking about from scratch. I have the tools, clamps, experience and skills but the setup is just too much trouble. Likewise, I would not likely consider building the kit, simply due the complexity of such large joints and the need for absolute perfection.

OP
OP
C

CarolinaReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would then recommend, 'start' by trying to make small boxes, display boxes and the like first. When you can get pretty, water tight, bubble free seams consistently on like 1/4", try a little thicker/larger.

I built a... 18"x18"x11.75" rimless cube out 1/4" years ago and I recall it deflecting more than I'd hoped.
Good advise. Thanks for the heads up! A small one would be a good tester project before I spend a lot more money on a larger test.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good advise. Thanks for the heads up! A small one would be a good tester project before I spend a lot more money on a larger test.
FWIW you must do the tester project... but one does not translate well to the other. Large joints take rather precise manipulation and adhesive application and joint finishing is as much a learned art as it is a skill.

As mentioned above.... 50 gallon sump? Sure, setup some pins and use capillary action to suck some methylene chloride in... squish together and go on your way. 100+ gallon tank you are looking at 3/4" material and moving on to a two part adhesive, possibly chamfered edges for seams. An application gun with static mixers, and another layer of learning and world of "Ohh crap, I am out of time". Can you do it with #4 and #16, sure... but you are gambling.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 129 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.4%
Back