DIY Auto feeder with reef-pi

Des Westcott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a copy of the post on my build thread. Ranjib suggested I post it as a separate thread, so here it is.

BEAR IN MIND - different autofeeders work differently and models other than this one may require different fabri-cobbling to get it to work.

0105d5c46d23fb8ad093231506b7deb836b3d3a2fc.jpg

I wanted to have an auto-feeder controlled by reef-pi and was given two of these by a mate. After familiarising myself with their workings, I realised it wasn't going to be easy. When turned on, you have two options -
  • Feed once every 24 hours after original turn-on time, or
  • Feed Every 24 hours after turn-on AND 6 hours after that - so two feedings 6 hours apart repeating every 24 hours.
Not what I wanted. There is a Manual button, but that only works in addition to the auto mode. The feeder can't be on and only in Manual mode.

What I did discover though is that for the "once every 24 hours" mode to work, what the unit does is run a cycle immedaitely after turning on, and then every 24 hours after that. So I figured what I would do is turn the unit on, let it run it's first cycle, then turn it off. Tested manually and it achieved what I wanted.

So, I pulled the unit apart and got to work. First thing I did was get rid of the batteries. It runs on 2 x AA batteries (3V). I've decided to take a chance and run the unit on 5V from the same power supply that I use to power the Pi. So far it seems to run it fine. Time will tell if it holds up. If it does die, I have another one as spare and it will get connected to 3V.

Next was to bypass the momentary switch that turns the unit off and on. I did this by connecting the suitable terminals on the board to a spare relay I had on the reef-pi. I called this AF Switch and connected it Normally Open.

So now under normal conditions, the feeder site there getting 5V power just as if it had batteries in.

To get the unit to dispense a feed, I have a Macro that looks like this :
  1. Turn AF Switch ON
  2. Wait 2 seconds
  3. Turn AF Switch OFF
  4. Wait 10 seconds
  5. Turn AF Swithc ON
  6. Wait 2 seconds
  7. Turn AF Switch OFF
This has the effect of tricking the Auto Feeder into thinking the momentary switch has been pressed to turn it on, so it dumps it's first load of food. The unit then gets turned off so that it doesn't feed as per it's internal timer.

Works perfectly!!! I now have a timer that triggers this macro for my morning feed. And I can trigger the Macro manually any time I want to feed pellets.

OP
OP
Des Westcott

Des Westcott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I had a slight mishap.

I knocked the Autofeeder into the tank while doing some maintenance.

The autofeeder almost immediately started running continuously.

Not good.

But I have a spare unit!!! I'll just open it up and mod it exactly the same as the first one. Right?

Wrong.

Open the second one up and the insides are completely different and bridging the switch out does not have the same effect.

My work around has been to remove the water damaged board completely and connect the relay supplying 5V directly to the motor. I then created a Macro and experimented with an on time to get a normal amount of food dispensed. 2 seconds seem to work just fine.

So it all seems to have worked out fine in the end.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 19.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back