DIY bent conduit light bracket advice please

Herbie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will be hanging a single 120w LED fixture over a 24x24x18 cube and I'm thinking of stealing this idea:
uploadfromtaptalk1349915350588.jpg

I'm thinking I can make the height adjustable using some sort of set screw on the point it attaches to the stand and by doing it on one side only I can make the whole thing swing out of the way as needed. Any thoughts or tips or other ideas? Pics and plans would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

rarelyseriousb

give a pound
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use a pipe/conduit bender. You can use 2 hole clamps to secure it to the stand. Put some grommets on the end of the pipe and run your wires inside the pipe for a clean look. To swivel it out of the way place a l bracket on the bottom of the pipe attached to the stand. The pipe will rest on the bracket. The 2 hole clamp will hold the pipe secure. Keep it just loose enough to allow the pipe swivel.

OP
OP
H

Herbie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use a pipe/conduit bender. You can use 2 hole clamps to secure it to the stand. Put some grommets on the end of the pipe and run your wires inside the pipe for a clean look. To swivel it out of the way place a l bracket on the bottom of the pipe attached to the stand. The pipe will rest on the bracket. The 2 hole clamp will hold the pipe secure. Keep it just loose enough to allow the pipe swivel.

Excellent ideas. By "two hole clamp" do you mean hose clamp (dang autocorrect) or is there something called that?

rarelyseriousb

give a pound
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a clamp that is sized for you conduit. It is rigid and has a curved built into it. There are 1 hole and 2 hole variations. The holes are where the screws go threw into the stand.

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Herbie,

It is funny you post this....i am actually working on the same kind of light holder. I was at home depot a couple of days ago and bought a 10' long 3/4" wide conduit for $3 and change. My plan is to run the pipe all the way to the ground and up along the wall. I am deciding to secure it to the wall instead on my stand...i already have enough holes in my stand. Not sure if you have seen this link but there are lots of helpful ideas
Click here DIY

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

Herbie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a clamp that is sized for you conduit. It is rigid and has a curved built into it. There are 1 hole and 2 hole variations. The holes are where the screws go threw into the stand.

Oh man, lol. I put up hundreds of those when I finished my basement. I completely forgot that I have a box of them somewhere. I guess I never called them anything. Thanks! (I can see how one with 2 holes would be better)

OP
OP
H

Herbie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Herbie,

It is funny you post this....i am actually working on the same kind of light holder. I was at home depot a couple of days ago and bought a 10' long 3/4" wide conduit for $3 and change. My plan is to run the pipe all the way to the ground and up along the wall. I am deciding to secure it to the wall instead on my stand...i already have enough holes in my stand. Not sure if you have seen this link but there are lots of helpful ideas
Click here DIY

Lol thanks but that's where I stole the pic from. I had lost the link though!

creefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did something similar on my old tank. You can even have home depot bend the conduit for you if you know how you want it bent and at what length. It's super easy and I don't think they charge to bend it for you.

OP
OP
H

Herbie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't know they did that but I got pretty good at bending doing my basement. Looking forward to trying it again. I've got about 30' of conduit to practice on!

RichieT

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
H

Herbie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Herbie. Get some strut channel. They make tons of conduit fasteners for it. Really makes adjustments easy.

This is the stuff I'm talking about.
Strut Channel - Conduit Mounting - Grainger Industrial Supply

You can usually buy it at a local hardware store. Mount two pieces to the back of your stand and you are set

I'll check that out. Thanks Rich!

I did this same thing. I ended up painting it black. Easy and looks good IMO

Looks nice!

scottkel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just made mine on my 24x24 cube as well. It was pretty easy and came out pretty good. Still need to paint them black.

image-2165190354.jpg

image-3068624317.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

OP
OP
H

Herbie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reminder! Yours looks good. I only have a 1/2" bender and I wish I had just sprung for the 3/4" but this is what I came up with. I think I'm going to cut off about an inch from each end of the top bar to move it back more and it should cant forward a little less.
uploadfromtaptalk1352005624331.jpg

OP
OP
H

Herbie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the double bend idea. I might have to steal it if that is ok.

I've had it up for a while now and its working great. I was a little worried about it flexing but 1/5 is definitely adequate. You can't steal it from me 'cause I already stole it myself ;)

occ_motorcycles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I would use two straps. One on a coupling on your stand and one on the conduit itself. It will be strong enough to hold almost any light you put up there and you can also set it in the coupling without it lowering when you turn the arm.

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 11 20.0%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 20 36.4%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 10 18.2%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 14 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back