DIY Bootleg "EcoTech" Battery Backup

diverjm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't quote me on this, but I believe you could run a splitter cable, something like this:
Obviously you wouldn't need the EcoTech booster (a $1 resistor in a plastic box) because that's for a vectra pump being 24v. Just cables and and an adaptor are all you'd need. I have an MP40 upstairs ghetto rigged off an IceCap battery backup using 5.5 mm plugs with an adaptor. I've been using one from this power supply that I've had laying around (bought to replace one that went out from an IceCap Walk stirrer btw). So what you'd need is 5.5 pigtail to 2 x 5.5 mm cables, to 2 adapters. I'm assuming the MP10 is similar. Good luck!

Screen Shot 2022-11-02 at 11.59.23 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-11-02 at 11.53.32 AM.png
Thanks for the reply! The pigtail makes complete sense as long as splitting doesn’t change the voltage or amperage.

OP
OP
Roli's Reef Ranch

Roli's Reef Ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply! The pigtail makes complete sense as long as splitting doesn’t change the voltage or amperage.
NP. It'll be the same since it's the same electrical point. I don't think you'd have problems since MP10s draw very little current. I run 2 x MP40's upstairs, but just have one on battery backup just to provide a little flow and because it's on an IceCap battery backup which, if I remember is only 7 Amp hours and I want to maximize the length of operation. Obviously If you're running 2 MP-10s at the same power as 1, it'll provide half the run time, but with the 20 Ah battery it's probably of little concern.

OP
OP
Roli's Reef Ranch

Roli's Reef Ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an update that I’m up & running. The Ecotech cable took awhile to ship. Will see how long this will last with the MP40qd going at 20%…
Cool. If you run a stress test, let me know. There is always a difference between what's rated and what it turns out to be in reality, but I'm confident it'll last a long time, much longer than the Vecta I'm running because that has the "battery booster" AKA a resistor in line to take it from 12 to 24v resulting in some loss.

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool. If you run a stress test, let me know. There is always a difference between what's rated and what it turns out to be in reality, but I'm confident it'll last a long time, much longer than the Vecta I'm running because that has the "battery booster" AKA a resistor in line to take it from 12 to 24v resulting in some loss.
Thanks again for the video and post. I ran it at 20% (although I’ve tried at 10% but didn’t seem to take effect) and got 42hrs. I was getting 4hrs max on the UPS so this was awesome news indeed. Very happy how it turned out! Thanks for all your help.

OP
OP
Roli's Reef Ranch

Roli's Reef Ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks again for the video and post. I ran it at 20% (although I’ve tried at 10% but didn’t seem to take effect) and got 42hrs. I was getting 4hrs max on the UPS so this was awesome news indeed. Very happy how it turned out! Thanks for all your help.
Glad it worked out, and thanks for running the experiment!

OP
OP
Roli's Reef Ranch

Roli's Reef Ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing — very cool. I might want to build one myself since it looks super simple! It was challenging trying to find the parts list from the video. Do you mind sharing the full list here? Much appreciated.
The parts list with links is in the video description.

OP
OP
Roli's Reef Ranch

Roli's Reef Ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, got that, thanks. I was asking TheHarold on that Central Unit.

Question for you Roli - any reason why you didn't select the ECO-Worthy charger instead? Guessing because it was half the price?
GREAT QUESTION! That is something I forgot to address in video. I had that charger and it ran for about a year before it STB. Chargers aren't something you check every day, but one day I looked at it and the LEDs were off (double checked with digital multimeter and tore it apart hoping for an easy fix, but I couldn't find any issues with the components that were visible, maybe an IC?). For whatever reason the thing went out and stopped working, so I replaced it with this one for half the price and haven't had a problem for a few months now. It doesn't have the fancy voltage display, but I don't care about that.

BR260354

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GREAT QUESTION! That is something I forgot to address in video. I had that charger and it ran for about a year before it STB. Chargers aren't something you check every day, but one day I looked at it and the LEDs were off (double checked with digital multimeter and tore it apart hoping for an easy fix, but I couldn't find any issues with the components that were visible, maybe an IC?). For whatever reason the thing went out and stopped working, so I replaced it with this one for half the price and haven't had a problem for a few months now. It doesn't have the fancy voltage display, but I don't care about that.
Works for me! Now I need to find a 5.5/2.5mm that is long enough. Need about 6-10 feet. I also have a couple of MP40's, but will probably just one on battery in those events. Thanks for putting this together.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice! I also made a DIY one with a different style. The central unit gets mounted to a control board, and then the pumps, battery, and battery charger plug in to the central unit.

E3F5B2ED-E9C0-4C17-A4E3-6D20A4519198.jpeg

Cool. What are the parts for this build?

Here's what I have on my excel sheet list:
  • 2pcs 3.5mm x 1.35mm Female DC Power Jack. Amazon ASIN: B07Y8KSC5Q ($.40/e landed Alibaba)
  • 2pcs 5.5mm x 2.10mm Female DC Power Jack. Amazon ASIN: B07LF1193N ($.40/e landed Alibaba)
  • 2pcs Wire Nut. Wago 5-port type. Amazon ASIN: B06XH47DC2 ($.60/e landed Alibaba)
  • 1pcs 12V-60V Power Meter Display ($1.70 landed Alibaba)
  • 1pcs 3D Printed "Standard Housing Voltage Meter Faceplate" ($.40/e)
  • 1pcs 3D Printed "Standard Housing Voltage Meter Backplate" ($.40/e)
  • 1pcs 3D Printed "Standard Housing Custom 4x 11.5mm Enclosure" ($.80/e)
  • Wire/Heat Shrink: $.50/e
Total item cost: ~$7 + 15m assembly.

You can choose your own battery and trickle charger, preferably a nicer LiFEPO4 battery that won't die in 3 years like the Ecotech Lead Acid one. Ecotech Fused Cables are $5/e. Below is a photo of the simple internals; negative to negatives, positive to positives.

IMG_7771.jpeg
FullSizeRender.jpeg

BR260354

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you happen to know the barrel connector size for the MP40 backup power port? It's no 5.5mm/2.5mm. Is it 3.5mm/1.35mm?

SeeFu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an update that I’m up & running. The Ecotech cable took awhile to ship. Will see how long this will last with the MP40qd going at 20%…
do you have the part number to go from the battery to the mp40 controller.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so if i need to run 2 mp40's then i'll need a splitter like this and 2 of those ecotech fused battery cables correct?

Sort of. EcoTech is 1.35 x 3.5 jack. You linked 2.1x5.5 (won’t work).

What are you trying to do? The ecotech battery backup already has 2 outputs. Is this for a DIY system?

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 35.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 36 30.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back