DIY Bristle Worm Trap - How To

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have only seen one in our tank... I am sure there are a few more. I will have to give this trap a try.

They are good scavengers. I would keep them. Years back I think people use to freak out about them till they learned they don’t hurt anything. You probably have a lot more stuff hiding in your rock then you know.

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have hundreds right now in my tank. I was over feeding trying to bring up nitrates. Their numbers self regulate.

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool, I was hoping to see an end result with some worms in the traps!

Here ya go!

While I agree small bristles are good cleaners if they are small and indeed bristle, and not fire worms as many times they are, the larger ones, even bristles, can actually be a pest and problematic to some animals.

So I noticed one of my sand dwelling anemone's (Malu) looking bothered and shifting after a very long time in same location, and at night I noticed very large bristles under it's foot.

I used a trap and caught 4 of them, all over 2 feet long!

After removal my anemone was back to normal.

Here's pic, those blinds are 2", and this bristle was not even relaxed and showing it's full length, all got to ride the porcelain water park!

Solofish732

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DIY Bristle Worm Trap - How To

Chances are, if you are reading this article, you already know what a Bristle Worm is and why you may need to "trap" it. But in case you are not quite sure ....
Bristle worms are free-living segmented worms with an elongated body that has a pair of "appendages" as well as tufts of bristles (hence the name) on each segment of its body.

1.jpg

Above photo courtesy of bobbychullo

These critters can vary A LOT in terms of size and color. They can usually be found living on or in the aquarium substrate and live rock. They like to move around at night, so go looking after dark with a flashlight ....
They might also show themselves when the tank is being fed.
This guys can be a problem for reef keepers, and can cause headaches when they get particularly large. (And they can grow quickly!) They feed on all sorts of things ...

For those who have one of these hungry guys and who want to get them out of your tank, Cromag08 has come up with what he calls a "Super Easy DIY Bristle Worm Trap"

Here's what you need in terms of Materials:
- small plastic beverage bottle (rigid is better)
- box cutter/razor blade
- scissors
- straws

(remaining photos courtesy of Cromag08)
2.jpg

Step One:
Wash out the bottle really well and take off any packaging material.

Step Two:
Use the razor blade to cut three "X"s evenly spaced along one side of the bottle.

Step Three:
Use your scissors to cut out holes. You want the holes so that your straws will fit snug.

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Step Four:

Now cut three holes in the opposite side. These new holes should not be exactly straight across from the first row of holes, but rather a little closer. the final photo will show why this is.

Step Five:
Cut the straws and insert them into the holes.

6.jpg

Note: You want all of the straws to touch the sand, that is why the second row of holes need to be offset a little and not straight across from the first row.

Step Six:
Put some meaty food inside, place the trap in your tank with the lid on and make sure the straws are near the sand. Leave it in your tank overnight.

Step Seven:
The next morning, check your trap and marvel at the glorious beauty of the bristle worm!
This is a great idea I’m gonna have to try this

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here ya go!

While I agree small bristles are good cleaners if they are small and indeed bristle, and not fire worms as many times they are, the larger ones, even bristles, can actually be a pest and problematic to some animals.

So I noticed one of my sand dwelling anemone's (Malu) looking bothered and shifting after a very long time in same location, and at night I noticed very large bristles under it's foot.

I used a trap and caught 4 of them, all over 2 feet long!

After removal my anemone was back to normal.

Here's pic, those blinds are 2", and this bristle was not even relaxed and showing it's full length, all got to ride the porcelain water park!

T-Giving Dinner?

Yea i leave the small ones and out goes the big ones.. But i have very few now days that venture out in the open . My File fishie seems to think they taste Great..

Yum yum

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 44 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 33 12.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 156 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.0%
Back