DIY Canopy

turanevins

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont have a canopy for my tank and was looking to upgrade my lighting from t5 to led, but I cant hang the lights because of my ceiling in my livingroom. I want to build a canopy--->Need Ideas! 48x19x22

sawdonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm really happy with my flip-up front canopy. Easy to get work done and I never have to remove it. Gas Pistons hold it up while I'm working.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420914719.699795.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420914771.591414.jpg

sawdonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, I had a woodworker do it, but the design is simple. Mine is a little fancy because I wanted reliefs built in that line up with my cabinet. I could have done it myself if I were doing it with less detail. It's also made of walnut plywood and trimmed with hard wood, and I'm not capable of doing that.

All of the weight rests on the sides. There is a small piece of wood running across the back to stabilize it. The key is to get the right hinges so the front flips up and closes properly.

Hers a pic of the whole thing in context and a pic of the hinges.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420916139.418009.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420916151.896688.jpg

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have something similar, but very plain and simple......inexpensive fir strips and 1/4 inch plywood. Here it is open:
CanopyOpen.jpg

And closed:

CanopyDoorClosed.jpg

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just plywood and hinges? how much did it cost you?

Not much....most stuff I had from other projects and the temporary canopy I had over the tank. But if I were to guess for all materials, around 30 to 40 dollars.

Here's a short explanation about the build:

Instead of using 2 x 2’s, which are commonly used in canopies, I made “L” brackets out of inexpensive fir stripping. The primary reason is strength over five foot, but also for overall weight….these are lighter:

CanopyBrace.jpg

This “L” bracket is more stable than a five foot 2 x 2. I’ll use these on the two top braces of the canopy, while the lower pieces are just straight fir strips (trimmed).

With these “L” brackets installed, here is the carcass of the canopy….using the end pieces from the original temporary canopy.

CanopyCarcass.jpg

On the front lower frame member I attached a strip of 1/16 acrylic, jutting down a half inch. This will hit the front glass of the tank and keep the canopy from sliding back.

CanopyFrontEdge.jpg

Primed the box with Kilz….here it is upside down without the door.....note, tbe hole fits a Walmart desk fan:

CanopyPrimed.jpg

And here’s the door with the hinges set:

CanopyDoor.jpg

Note that pine strips were used on the top and bottom of the canopy to "frame" it out, with corner molding used on each corner. With the door, this corner molding was glued and nailed to the front door only so that it easily slid past the side of the canopy when it was opened and closed.

I hope I explained this enought to at least give you some ideas.

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 21 16.8%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 53 42.4%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 17 13.6%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 28 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.8%
Back