DIY eggcrate frag rack vs Eshoppes?

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Have some frags coming my way and want to start them out on a frag rack before I decide which tank I want them in and where to glue them. . . My local shop sells the Eshoppes magnetic racks (which seem very nice) OR I could buy some black eggcrate and zipties at home depot. . . what is your vote? any reason not to use the eggcrate?

exnisstech

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I think the acrylic racks w/magnet mounts tend to look way better and you can get all kinds,,, from super cheap to really nice on Amazon.

Nothing wrong with egg crate but for effort vs price, I'd vote acrylic.
I agree. I tried the eggcrate with suction cups and it was a total pita when I wanted to clean the glass. With the acrylic magnet ones you can just carefully slide the rack up or down and clean the glass then slide it back to where you wanted it and never have to put your hands in the tank. With the eggcrate / suction cup I was dumping frags all over the place when I tried to move them to clean. I ended up with 2 of these in the large size and have been pleased with them

Screenshot_20220731-153626_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have some frags coming my way and want to start them out on a frag rack before I decide which tank I want them in and where to glue them. . . My local shop sells the Eshoppes magnetic racks (which seem very nice) OR I could buy some black eggcrate and zipties at home depot. . . what is your vote? any reason not to use the eggcrate?
My vote .
PXL_20220627_025019578.jpg

reaper93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. I tried the eggcrate with suction cups and it was a total pita when I wanted to clean the glass. With the acrylic magnet ones you can just carefully slide the rack up or down and clean the glass then slide it back to where you wanted it and never have to put your hands in the tank. With the eggcrate / suction cup I was dumping frags all over the place when I tried to move them to clean. I ended up with 2 of these in the large size and have been pleased with them

Screenshot_20220731-153626_Amazon Shopping.jpg
I like those racks as well

OP
OP
MoshJosh

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I wasn’t actually planning on using suction cups If I went the eggcrate route, just a rack sits on the bottom.

I actually found some pretty cool pictures of eggcrate racks where they made the legs by bending the plastic, might try this.

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
U can zip tie some square structures or rectangle type structures together and yes set them on the bottom of a bare bottom tank to raise the frags up.
They're frag tanks... lol. Hths you
D

ReefRondo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Egg crate is great however I’ve found it grows algae really badly and then cleaning it is a royal pita. I’m convinced egg crate actually helps algae.

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wasn’t actually planning on using suction cups If I went the eggcrate route, just a rack sits on the bottom.

I actually found some pretty cool pictures of eggcrate racks where they made the legs by bending the plastic, might try this.
Question, out of curiosity, is goal for a dedicated frag tank or temporary spot in DT for some new frags while you acclimate and figure out where to mount (permanently)?

For dedicated frag tank with ability to grow out a ton of corals -- DIY egg crate like post #4 is probably best option, for both affordability and maximizing spread/depth to your liking.

For temporary in DT, I do think the "Reefing Art" (acrylic/magnetic) racks like in post #3 are a really nice balance between budget and cosmetics.

...but it's all personal preference, of course

OP
OP
MoshJosh

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Question, out of curiosity, is goal for a dedicated frag tank or temporary spot in DT for some new frags while you acclimate and figure out where to mount (permanently)?

For dedicated frag tank with ability to grow out a ton of corals -- DIY egg crate like post #4 is probably best option, for both affordability and maximizing spread/depth to your liking.

For temporary in DT, I do think the "Reefing Art" (acrylic/magnetic) racks like in post #3 are a really nice balance between budget and cosmetics.

...but it's all personal preference, of course
It will go in my "display", though it is a work in progress so an egg crate rack probably wont look too out of place haha. Would like to set up a frag specific tank in the near future. . . if my wife lets me. . .

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%

Back