Diy Encrusting sculptures

ChelseaNichole

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got the BRS mix on its way to make some pieces/sculptures for encrusting corals.

But where can I find/ make the molds? Husband wants a sexy lady and I want something more on the feminine side.

Also what size magnets would be suitable for rock shelves

Thanks

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got the BRS mix on its way to make some pieces/sculptures for encrusting corals.

But where can I find/ make the molds? Husband wants a sexy lady and I want something more on the feminine side.

Also what size magnets would be suitable for rock shelves

Thanks
rock is heavy, acrylic pins are more suited than magnets. I've pinned my rock work together and have two cantilevered rock outcroppings, but there is mass/weight (think W shape and the center of W is small cave but those rocks have weight to stabilize ends up in air. To achieve my W (more or less) shape, it is various rocks broken/cut then drilled for pins then reef mortared together. Didn't want to trust mortar alone and then have it crash down killing future things. Make sure any pins/posts you use are reef safe. I found a decent selection online for posts/pins.

Also, while I use magnets short term (food clips, glass cleaners) magnets are not suitable for reef aquariums long term like might be desired for 'shelves' ... often magnets are referred to as wet side (sealed) and dry side (outside tank). I also have two different sizes of this "rock look" frag rack but again this isn't for long term (and they don't seal the wet side, so they really aren't best (but didn't realize that until after I bought this and the single hole sizes):

Here is a link to magnets:

Have you checked molds thru ceramic sources? Seems like ceramic clay molds might work for you, but defer to others with more experience about crafting specific identifiable shapes

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My go-to for magnets is www.kjmagnetics.com

For simple frag racks or similar, I use the 3/4 diameter x 3/8 thick with ~ #10 pull. They are plenty strong for up to 1/2" glass. They come in both uncoated and plastic coated. I buy only the plastic coated ones. Some of them have been in one of my tanks or another for well over 10 years with no issues whatsoever. Kj sells pretty much every size and strength imaginable so I'm certain you can find what you need.

hth!

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back