DIY Epoxy Safe glue?

Andrew Schubert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am making my own DIY overlow. However, the material I used must not be acrylic because my acrlyix glue doesn't bond with it. So was wondering g if Dap Tank Bond Epoxy would be OK to use...or should I stick to trying silicon?

15943494627335709162832456411826.jpg

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep....thats what I've used...this must not be acrylic
Can you clear something up? What did you use?

The epoxy in your first post is not a solvent. Weldon 3 or 4 is less viscous than water. Weldon actually softens the acrylic and allows the acrylic to bond to itself. There isn't any glue or epoxy involved.

OP
OP
Andrew Schubert

Andrew Schubert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you clear something up? What did you use?

The epoxy in your first post is not a solvent. Weldon 3 or 4 is less viscous than water. Weldon actually softens the acrylic and allows the acrylic to bond to itself. There isn't any glue or epoxy involved.
I tried my weldon 4 and it didn't bond...thats why I was asking about the epoxy. The material is BLACK high density poly sheets (HDPE). Evidently weldon doesn't work with that stuff.

Luckyduck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then you need weldon 4. I have made many sumps with it.
Hey brother I'm about to build a mini surface skimmer, sorta like an overflow without the over, basically a small box out of acrylic. I was just wondering how I was going to bond it together. Literally was just thinking about it and came across this post! Good timing. I should order myself some Weldon #4 then correct?

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried my weldon 4 and it didn't bond...thats why I was asking about the epoxy. The material is BLACK high density poly sheets (HDPE). Evidently weldon doesn't work with that stuff.
Hmm interesting, I don't know of a solvent that will bond HDPE. Outside of actually welding it, epoxy is probably the best option.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey brother I'm about to build a mini surface skimmer, sorta like an overflow without the over, basically a small box out of acrylic. I was just wondering how I was going to bond it together. Literally was just thinking about it and came across this post! Good timing. I should order myself some Weldon #4 then correct?
Yep

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 19.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back