DIY filter cups

srawnc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Working towards setting up a 10gal sump anyone try their hand at DIY filter cups? I'm sure it's a simple project just wanted to see some ideas. I've seen a few using 3 to 4" pvc with holes drilled towards the bottom for flow.

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I designed a set for my sump on TinkerCAD and had my library print them.

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
IMG_20230427_135531450.jpg
IMG_20230427_135012615.jpg

stoney7713

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
They pay for themselves big time, especially with how cheap they have gotten over time. You can literally design anything and just print it.
You have to think outside the box sometimes. Sometimes it's easier to print things in pieces and assemble them afterwards. But by far it does pay for itself, I bought a few things that were 3D printed and could have easily put it towards a printer to begin with.

TheSheff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have to think outside the box sometimes. Sometimes it's easier to print things in pieces and assemble them afterwards. But by far it does pay for itself, I bought a few things that were 3D printed and could have easily put it towards a printer to begin with.
Yeah i know plenty of people that can make good money selling 3d printed parts online. Random Flow Generators are like $30 online, but it costs me like $1 at most to print one lol.

OP
OP
srawnc

srawnc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I know plenty of people that can make good money selling 3D-printed parts online. Random Flow Generators are like $30 online, but it costs me like $1 at most to print one lol.
is there a certain size of 3D printer or brand I should look into? May be time to invest. May go that route and just print one.

TheSheff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is there a certain size of 3D printer or brand I should look into? May be time to invest. May go that route and just print one.
It depends on your budget. IMO the best 3d printers out there are Prusa, but they can be 1000's of dollars. I use an Anycubic Kobra which is about $200. It has auto leveling and works great. Just required some more attention when it comes to setting up the slicer correctly.

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Ender, Longer, Sovol, Anycubic are all great "beginner" printers that can be purchase on Amazon. Max print size is the big factor on any of them - I'd be looking at a 10" or 11" print bed rather than the standard 7.5". Lik @stoney7713 said, most of mine I have to scale down or print in parts. The filter cup was at the max of what the printer I have access to could do.

OP
OP
srawnc

srawnc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I'll have to see what's available and the price point. I've wanted one but never really researched any.

Dmmuir

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep in mine with the Ender and many of the lower cost ones you have to do a lot of configuring, adjusting and tinkering.
If you're looking for something simple and ready to go check lulzbot. made local to me, I have met some of the guys and seen their printers in action.
They come with all the mods I have done to my Ender3, and while they cost more initially, I now have more $ in mods than if I had just bought one of these.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 113 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back