DIY Filter Socks

rt8169

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread is awesome! I originally used 4" socks and hand washing, but getting them inside out was still a PITA so I went to 7" diameter And even those are annoying. I had been buying my socks from mcmaster-carr which are around $15/each.

My first thought is, do you really need a fully rigid ring at all? Maybe something fairly stuff but flexible enough you could fully sew the sock up and leave a hole to push in from afterwards? I'm thinking like that semi-transparent white poly pipe you can get from home derpot. Then you could just pull the "ring" out and washing would be so much easier.

spacedcowboy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not wishing to hijack, but since price and convenience seem to be important factors here, I took a slightly different approach regarding filter socks after having used them for years. I bought 4 of these filter-cups and then bought (about 3 years ago) a 5lb bag of this (normally used to stuff toys, but is 100% polyester). It cost about $20, and I'm almost through it now...

Basically, no mess, just pull the cup out of the hole in the sump-plate, shake it a bit to get rid of the excess water, dump the dirty floss into a bag to go into the bin, stuff a bit more clean stuff in, and replace. Done. I will never go back to filter socks :)

Ronnell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread is awesome! I originally used 4" socks and hand washing, but getting them inside out was still a PITA so I went to 7" diameter And even those are annoying. I had been buying my socks from mcmaster-carr which are around $15/each.

My first thought is, do you really need a fully rigid ring at all? Maybe something fairly stuff but flexible enough you could fully sew the sock up and leave a hole to push in from afterwards? I'm thinking like that semi-transparent white poly pipe you can get from home derpot. Then you could just pull the "ring" out and washing would be so much easier.
Hey RT what I use is a regular flexible airline & it works just as good as a rigid.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 18.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 45 52.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.4%
Back