DIY Fish and Coral Food

Steve2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will be making some homemade fish/coral food. Ingredients: 1lb each of Calamari including tentacles, Shrimp, Mussels and Scallops, 1/2lb each of freshly shucked Quahog Clams, Brine Shrimp and Mahi Mahi, 1/4lb Freeze Dried Artic Krill. Also adding some PE Flakes, TDO Pellets, Saki Hikari Herbivore Pellets, Nori, Reef Roids and BRS Reef Chili. Supplements will be Spirulina Powder, Garlic Extract, Selcon and Vitachem. My question is with the Vitachem, I have a 4oz bottle and not sure how much to add. Would it be safe to add the whole 4oz bottle? I am only adding 30ml's of Selcon.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where are you sourcing this seafood? Most deli seafood has some kind of Phosphate coated on them for freshness and to retain moisture

Makes the PO4 jump up in your tank and feeds algae outbreaks

OP
OP
Steve2020

Steve2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where are you sourcing this seafood? Most deli seafood has some kind of Phosphate coated on them for freshness and to retain moisture

Makes the PO4 jump up in your tank and feeds algae outbreaks
I shucked the clams myself then froze them. Mussels are frozen half shell no additives. Fish is frozen vacuum packed. Shrimp and scallops are flash frozen and no additives. Checked before I purchased them. These items should not increase PO4 any more than the LRS I have been using.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use vitachem all the time to moisten my dry roasted nori before it gets veggie clipped (helps enrich Tangs diet to fight ich and lateral line)

I also have used vitachem to rehydrate freeze dried brine.

Should be able to use as liberal as you want as I never had an issue with vitachem leeching into the water column

OP
OP
Steve2020

Steve2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use vitachem all the time to moisten my dry roasted nori before it gets veggie clipped (helps enrich Tangs diet to fight ich and lateral line)

I also have used vitachem to rehydrate freeze dried brine.

Should be able to use as liberal as you want as I never had an issue with vitachem leeching into the water column
Sounds good. Thanks.

WereAllNegan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Checkmate : )
THUMBNAIL_shutterstock_66154600.jpg

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 44 29.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 41 27.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 52 34.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.3%
Back